Please help - Panasonic TH-37PV500 or the Philips 37PF9830?

h0tspurs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning All, I wondered if anyone can help me. I've been researching HD-Ready TVs and have struggled to work out whether I should go for Plamsa or LCD. I intended to use the TV for day-to-day viewing (inc. Films and sport) and connection to a games machine.

Unfortunately I'm a little limited on space and therefore require the screen to be less than 40".

I think I've narrowed my search to the Panasonic TH-37PV500 or the Philips 37PF9830. The Panasonic has had some great reviews (with the warning re: a 4:6 resolution being corrected by the pixel shape) and the spec of the Philips looks great but reviews have been hard to come by.

As anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

add the JVC 37DS6 and Toshiba 37WLT58 to your list.

The plasma may have burn in issues with games that have static areas for a long time, or if you watch a lot of sky/freeview with big solid logos. Its much better than it used to be, but if you're thinking plasma, look into it well first. Having said that, the Pahny has a beautiful image - very natural looking.

I'm a fan of LCD personally, and I'm looking at the JVC and Toshibas I've mentioned. Partly for cost (way cheaper than the 37" philips) and partly for size. Isn't the philips a pretty lumpy set? - very big frame? Both the JVC and the Toshiba are about 90cm x 61cm.

Other than that, the only thing I can recommend is get to a shop and see them in action for yourself. Try and see them with a good connection - Take a couple of your own DVDs if you can. One bright spark on here recorded a DVD from their normal viewing (sky etc) which is a good idea if you can do it.

They are all good sets and to a degree there is little factual info we can provide to sway you one way or another. Subjective viewing (i.e. yours) will complete that last little step. Whichever one you choose is the right one for you.

I can only speak for experience, and i have to say that the PixelPlus 2 technology is amazing. It makes movies look like they run at 60Hz instead of 30 - the difference is striking when you see those panels running the same DVD alongside other panels. The others look choppy and low-frame-rate by comparison. Obviously they won't look choppy if you don't have a pixelplus2 panel next to it.

Not sure why that is (must be some kind of inter-frame interpolation that sort of "creates" missing frames in between the ones that are fed to the TV) and i'm not sure if PixelPlus 2 is the only tech that allows that feat, but it's gorgeous to look at. And the image is very clear too.

I'm not sure which panel you're talking about, but the day i saw a Philips HDTV with PixelPlus2 i fell in love :D

hi there if you go to pricerunner you will see plenty of stores have the 9830.going for one myself before xmas :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A 1920x1080 resolution may be more "future proof" than a 1024x720 resolution. :)

Steve

Dutch said:
A 1920x1080 resolution may be more "future proof" than a 1024x720 resolution. :)

Steve

Do we know for sure when those panels are coming out in the UK. This whole 1920x1080 thing might delay my TV-buying until next xmas! not good!

Dutch said:
The Philips 37PF9830 is a 1920x1080 resolution screen and is available now in the UK. :smashin:

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/tv/393696/prices

Steve

Strange, i keep seeing contraddicting reports on this one, some say it's a 720p set (1280x720), some give 1920x1080 resolutions... Mmmm...
I'm pretty sure it "accepts" 1920x1080 resolutions but only displays at its native res, which is 1280x720.

Could be totally wrong though! :)

It's definitely 1920x1080. Have a look on www.consumer.philips.com and search for 37PF9830/10. It wouldn't let me link to the spec page directly for some reason.

Steve

DanDT said:
I can only speak for experience, and i have to say that the PixelPlus 2 technology is amazing. It makes movies look like they run at 60Hz instead of 30 - the difference is striking when you see those panels running the same DVD alongside other panels. The others look choppy and low-frame-rate by comparison. Obviously they won't look choppy if you don't have a pixelplus2 panel next to it.

Not sure why that is (must be some kind of inter-frame interpolation that sort of "creates" missing frames in between the ones that are fed to the TV) and i'm not sure if PixelPlus 2 is the only tech that allows that feat, but it's gorgeous to look at. And the image is very clear too.

I'm not sure which panel you're talking about, but the day i saw a Philips HDTV with PixelPlus2 i fell in love :D

The motion alteration you are talking about is, I believe, part of the Philips Natural Motion system, which attempts to create a 50 or 60 field/frame per second signal from a 24/25/30 frame per second original.

This effectively makes film look like video - and some like the effect. Others absolutely hate it, as many see the lower frame rate as part of "the film look" - in fact producers shooting on 50 or 60 field/frame video often reduce the rate in post-production to make it look like film! The Natural Motion system used by Philips effectively attempts to unpick this.

The in-between fields/frames generated are entirely made-up though - and the process that "invents" them can get it wrong.

(Intervideo Win DVD offers a similar facility, and BBC DVD releases of Dr Who B&W video productions which now only exist on film have been restored using a similar technique to make them look like video again)

Stephen Neal said:
The motion alteration you are talking about is, I believe, part of the Philips Natural Motion system, which attempts to create a 50 or 60 field/frame per second signal from a 24/25/30 frame per second original.

This effectively makes film look like video - and some like the effect. Others absolutely hate it, as many see the lower frame rate as part of "the film look" - in fact producers shooting on 50 or 60 field/frame video often reduce the rate in post-production to make it look like film! The Natural Motion system used by Philips effectively attempts to unpick this.

The in-between fields/frames generated are entirely made-up though - and the process that "invents" them can get it wrong.

(Intervideo Win DVD offers a similar facility, and BBC DVD releases of Dr Who B&W video productions which now only exist on film have been restored using a similar technique to make them look like video again)

Well i must be one of those who absolutely loved it :thumbsup:
Never heard WinDVD has something like that, will look into it.

DanDT said:
Well i must be one of those who absolutely loved it :thumbsup:
Never heard WinDVD has something like that, will look into it.

It's called Trimension in WinDVD... You need quite a powerful PC and also to tweak the de-interlace settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom