Please help or I'm screwed.

geezawolf

Standard Member
I have a Compaq laptop with XP installed. The other day it decided not to start up and gave me a message saying that Windows did not start successfully and none of the options would allow me to start it up. I looked on line (via another computer!) and discovered that the best thing to do was install from the start up disk which I did. When I put it in, it told me that none of my data files would be erased. HOWEVER, once it was all started up again, it was like running from scratch - none of my software and none of my files. Please please please tell me there's a way of recovering this stuff.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
I have a Compaq laptop with XP installed. The other day it decided not to start up and gave me a message saying that Windows did not start successfully and none of the options would allow me to start it up. I looked on line (via another computer!) and discovered that the best thing to do was install from the start up disk which I did. When I put it in, it told me that none of my data files would be erased. HOWEVER, once it was all started up again, it was like running from scratch - none of my software and none of my files. Please please please tell me there's a way of recovering this stuff.
A Windows re-install should not have deleted all your data files. However, it will have removed all your installed software, which will have to be installed again.

Did you not backup your files before you started? I know hindsight is 20-20, but surely you have backup copies of your files?

If you really have lost your data, and I suggest you have another look via Windows Explorer, then it might be recoverable via one of the freeware recovery programs. Others should be able to point you at a few: I'm afraid I don't know any. To improve the probability of that working, you should use the computer as little as possible beforehand, preferably not at all, to avoid the old files being overwritten.

geezawolf

Standard Member
Do you know what? You're right. My files haven't been deleted!!! It's just the software. I'm guessing I'll have to re-install all that right? No way of recovering all that I guess. Thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If your data is there then the programs are likely to still be there too, you've just lost the shortcuts to them.

nox

Standard Member
Yeah, lost the shortcuts and all the registry settings and dll and a lots of stuff.
Best to do is reinstall the software that you need.

ps:
go into program files and manually delete old installed programs that don't work any more. This is a good excuse to do a bit of clean up ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom