please help noob Using SPL meter

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Benoo, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Benoo

Benoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sorry but i am very new to this and recently puchased a digital SPL meter having looked around at various threads i am no longer sure what to do can you please confirm if what i think is correct is right.

1 i set my amp to 0db volume and send a test tone out each speaker i sit where i normally watch movies and measure the DB signal to ensure all speakers are the same reading from this location (it is about 74 to 75 db)

is this correct.

Thanks

:lease:

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It depends on what 0 on your amp is. If it's THX then I think 0 on a THX amp is 75 so yeah.

I find it depends on what levels you actually listen to things at.

If you never listen at more than -20 or -10 then maybe try it at that level.

But basically you have it correct, set the amp at a specified level, 75 is reference so that is I suppose the best level to choose and then trying to keep the sound meter in as close to the same place as possible match all the speaker levels.

This is only my opinion but I find matching them to a slightly lower level something like 65 is better because that is closer to the level I listen to things at. I've only very very occasionally listened to anything at 75. Battle scene in LoTR 3... Nearly blew my head off!! :)

Steff

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    There is a sticky in the subwoofer section detailing the use of a SPL meter. Have a look.

4. Benoo

Benoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi the subwoofer one suggests connecting it via a pc and appears to only talk about the sub. Funnily enough i think that subwoofer settings are the one thing that seems to change from movie to movie so i have not tried to set that one up with my spl meter just my othr 5 speakers.

Thanks

5. Benoo

Benoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0