Please help - no sound from TV on Soundbar

EmmaLB

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Sony Bravia TV KDL 50W815B and a Sony HT-CT370 soundbar. I also have my PC connected with my TV. For some reason, I cannot get any sound through my soundbar from my TV, yet when the TV is on and I turn the soundbar on, the TV recognises the change, turns the TV speakers off and and displays TV mode on the Soundbar but no sounds come out. The soundbar works fine with my PC, just not with the TV

I'd be hugely grateful for any help here

Thanks
Emma

How do you have the Tv and soundbar connected?
By HDMI or optical lead?

Have tried both ways and even bought a new Hdmi cable in case there was a fault but still nothing!

Do you get the sound from the TV's own built-in Freeview tuner or do you not have an aerial and do all your viewing from the Tivo?

Hi,
I have a sky box and can get sound for tv/sky through the tv speakers but not soundbar. Does this answer your question as I don't use Tivo or free view.

On your SkyHD remote press services, settings, sound and change HDMI audio from Dolby D to Normal and press the green button to save the settings...do you now have sound?

I just tried this and it was already on Normal - I've then changed all the sound settings (and put them back again) and still no sound....

I've also tried a system re-set on the Soundbar, but still no sound from TV (but still get sound from PC).....baffled!

Are you selecting the corrrect input on the soundbar that the Tv is connected to?
If so and still no sound, since you don't use the TV's Freeview tuner you can just connect the Sky box optical output directly to the soundbar and that should work.

Have you enabled the Bravia Sync option (I believe it's called) on your TV? It's the option where you can see all HDMI connected devices. It gives you instructions on what to do to sync new devices. I've used Sony TVs for years and had no issues using them with Sony and non-Sony soundbars. You need to connect the HDMI port labelled ARC on the TV to the input/output HDMI port on the soundbar. Make sure that if there are any settings in the soundbar they are set for CEC, ARC, whatever. In that scenario, with all of the correct options set, powering-up the TV should wake the soundbar, set the TV speakers to 'Audio system' and give you TV sound via the sound bar. The audio from any HDMI device connected to the TV when so selected should be heard via the soundbar. That said, there may be a few gotchas if the soundbar can't decode multi-channel sound. In that scenario set the associated device to normal/stereo/whatever.

Using the Options menu on the TV remote it should also be possible to toggle between the TV speakers and the soundbar. When connected to the soundbar placing the TV in standby should also put the soundbar into standby.

HTH

Clem

Massive thank you for your help and expertise JayCee and Clem - I now have sound from TV on my Soundbar. Massive thanks!

My next mission is to add a Sonos Connect to the mix and join up my Sony soundbar with my Play 1 speakers - wish me luck and any help welcome!

Ta lots
Emma

Last edited:
The Sonos Connect should be straightforward enough, proving that you have a spare digital or analogue input on the sound bar. I looked at doing just the same thing using my Yamaha soundbar, but in the end went via a Yamaha cd player which supports Apple Airplay.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom