Please help no HD signal with new Humax???

leegillyon

Established Member
Reaction score
HI there

Hope somebody can help. Finally purchased a Humax foxsat hdr t2 today. Plugged it all in and have done a search and it is not picking up any HD channels.

My postcode is NG57DL. A postcode search on the freeveiw HD website says that I should be able to pick up the HD channels but I cannot seem to get any.

Any suggestions please?? really ****** off!

Which transmitter are you receiving signals from?
According to the FreeviewHD checker it could be any one of four - Sutton Coldfield, Waltham, Nottingham or Belmont - but only Sutton Coldfield will get you FreeviewHD

I used your postcode and a random house number to see these results

Freeview | Coverage Checker

HI thanks for the reply

I did the check you have done and the got the same results.

I don't which one I am using as I don't know how to check on my humax? I also dont know how to change it from one transmitter to another.

I have looked as well through the forums etc

Last edited:
If you list the channels (e.g. CH34 for BBC1) you do currently get that should point to which transmitter you are using.

sorry to be a pain but how do i list the channels? Sorry only had the t2 for 1 day

So you are pointed at Sutton Coldfield. The HD mux should be on CH34 - try a manual tune (select DVB-T2) and check what signal level you are receiving. I believe CH34 is slightly outside of your normal channel range until DSO so you would need a wideband aerial until September 2011.

- Simon.

Thanks Simon

When I do a manual search on channel 34 it does not pick up any signal at all. Does that mean I am screwed?

Gutted about this, been looking forward to HD for ages. How much would a new arial cost??

Sorry to disillusion you but the FOXSAT requires a satellite dish and is a Freesat receiver.

Humax's Freeview HD reccorder is the HDR Fox-T2. Assuming this is a typo, try this.

Repeat the manual tune on Channel 34 but make sure you change the setting to DVB-T2. You will get nothing if you manually tune using the DVB-T setting.

If it is a freeview receiver you have rather than a freesat you will still probably have problems getting HD in Notts.

Signals for HD are not from SC but from the Lichfield transmitter that is nearby.It is a known fact that anyone from north of Lichfield is having difficulties in picking up a signal.In fact there are a few areas around Brum that are also experiencing difficulties.

See site below for more info,It looks like until digital switchover next April for SC you are screwed.

Freeview on Sutton Coldfield TV transmitter - page 47 | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice

Hi thanks for the reply. I do have the freeview version not the freesat. Is the freesat version worth getting? I have a sky dish so can connect. Is there a lot of difference between the 2 boxes?

I believe there are more hd channels on freeview. Is that correct?

There are more channels on freeview as it has C4HD but other than that at least you can get the channels with freesat which is more than can be said from freeview at present in your area.

Hi thanks for the reply. I do have the freeview version not the freesat. Is the freesat version worth getting? I have a sky dish so can connect. Is there a lot of difference between the 2 boxes?

I believe there are more hd channels on freeview. Is that correct?

Yes currently Murdoch has bagged loads of room on the satellites which has meant there is no capacity for Channel 4 - though this could change soon.

With Freesat you already get BBC iPlayer (will come to the Fox T2 Freeview range just after Christmas) and in 'non Freesat' mode you can also get STV HD which has some different programming from ITV1 and a 'lifestyle' channel called Luxe.

In addition, OFCOM have granted licences for CBS Action HD and CBS Drama HD recently so these should be on Freesat (or available in non-Freesat mode on your box) sometime soon.

I would however say that checking the full version of the postcode checker for your postcode, the predicted signal strength seems more than adequate. Try the manual tune suggested and see what the signal strength and quality bars show. Even if this is below the threshold to get a picture, you should be able to get some reading.

Addendum: Freesat HD boxes also allow you to access other IPTV services from the BBC including extras like additional "Strictly Come Dancing" footage and comedy shorts. These do no rely on capacity on the satellite as they are part of the on-line element similar to iPlayer.

The two together provide different and to some extent complimentary programmes - although in SD. Freeview for example has Fiver, Five USA and Dave whereas there are a number of additional SD channels on Freesat together with things like More4+1 which are not on Freeview.

The Humax Freesat boxes do not support the streaming of files (photo, video and music) from your home network whereas the Fox-T2 range does.

Last edited:
Thanks Lbear

I did try the manual tune on 34 as suggested but it did not pick up any signal at all.

I am gonna send it back to John Lewis and maybe get the foxsat box

If it is a freeview receiver you have rather than a freesat you will still probably have problems getting HD in Notts.

Signals for HD are not from SC but from the Lichfield transmitter that is nearby.It is a known fact that anyone from north of Lichfield is having difficulties in picking up a signal.In fact there are a few areas around Brum that are also experiencing difficulties.

See site below for more info,It looks like until digital switchover next April for SC you are screwed.

Freeview on Sutton Coldfield TV transmitter - page 47 | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice

I'm not sure I understand - this website shows HD coming from the SC transmitter on CH34 until September 2011?

Postcode Checker - Trade View

Sorry it is Sept 11th not April got me months mixed up but they are from Lichfield and not SC.

The sd channels come from SC whilst the HD from Lichfield.

Depending where you live this is not a problem ( I am oK where I live) but because the two transmitters are about 5 miles or so apart you may need two aerials to pick up both transmitters.

Some areas are having problems picking up hd channels irrespective of how many Ariels they have.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom