Please help newbie with my first ever 5.2.4 design?

lithnights

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping to get some feedback/help on my first ever speaker/sub design. I've put a lot of time into this, done a ton of research on this forum and other places, and hoping I'm doing it right.

BACKGROUND: I am finishing my basement space (currently framed) which will be a large rec/social area that includes a TV area, pool table, bar area, kids area etc. It is NOT a dedicated home theatre room and I am NOT an audiophile (e.g. I currently think my family room 5.1 in-ceiling $200 speakers with $500 sub is pretty darn good). This will be a 5.2.4 system and the speaker use will be 75% TV/movies, 25% music (but not dedicated sitting down, more just music as we socialize throughout the room). The design isn't perfect by any means but I tried to design it following the Dolby recommendations for 5.1.4 (see link at bottom) as best I could.

LIMITATIONS:
A. I have placed the tower speakers near the TV area (we haven't bought a couch yet, but I have taped an imaginary couch out) and I'm afraid of them being in the walkway to get to the couch from each side. Thus I am restricted with the LCR placement distance from each other (will be about 8 feet from Left speaker to Right speaker) due to that walkway space and I am limited in the back of the listening area due to the walkway between couch and bar.
B. I am limited with Surround speaker distance from each other (L and R surrounds would be about 24 feet from each other, which makes each about 13 feet from listener) due to not having a wall in the bar area. See attached pictures which show this. I COULD put the Surrounds in the ceiling (close to where the back Atmos are placed and keep them closer to the listener).

1. Do you see any MAJOR problems with my layout?
2. Would you do tower speakers spaced 8 feet apart, or go in-wall where I could separate them more to 15 feet?
For aesthetics and floor space, I would prefer in wall but I worry they won't outperform tower, especially since it's a large space. For performance I think I would prefer tower speakers (I purchased Klipsch RP6000F which I'm trying in my family room and sound great.. but have a couple weeks to return if needed)
3. Would you do 2 or 4 Atmos speakers? I have a 9 channel receiver (Denon X4500H) and everything is open to wire so I figured I'd go with the extra 2 speakers.
Would you place the Surrounds where they are (spaced out 24 feet) on the wall, OR put them closer to the listener where they could be much closer (near the back row of Atmos, or further behind the Atmos? If I leave everything, my design is very close to the Dolby suggestion except the Surrounds are spaced a bit further apart.
5. Any thoughts on subwoofer placement? I asked this in a different thread, and I know they'd be better closer to the TV sitting area and not in corner but again, there are walkway issues since that is the entrance to the couch which will be used a ton (I have 3 tweens). I'll likely wire to all locations and experiment once the room is done.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/ab...peaker-placement/sell-sheet-5.1.4-mounted.pdf

Basement AV area with notes 6 zoomed out.jpg
DSC_7868.jpgDSC_7866 edited.jpgDSC_7867 edited.jpgBasement AV area with notes 6 zoomed out.jpg

Attachments

• 20210109_122220.jpg
    20210109_122220.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I dont think I can offer much more than you have looked at. You could you move the surrounds slightly, rear left into rear bar wall maybe. Some speakers have adjustable tweters so you can point to the MLP.

As for subs, try using the REW room sim it should give you a good starting point but its quite a big open space. the corners might give you the best room gain

I dont think I can offer much more than you have looked at. You could you move the surrounds slightly, rear left into rear bar wall maybe. Some speakers have adjustable tweters so you can point to the MLP.

As for subs, try using the REW room sim it should give you a good starting point but its quite a big open space. the corners might give you the best room gain
Thank you for your review and feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom