Please help newbie setting up first AV install

shacla

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all :hiya:

I am in the middle of upgrading my AV to get into the HD era and after some great advice from the forum members have decided on the following components:

• TV: Panasonic TH-50PF9
  • Amp: Denon 3806 (may wait for the 3808ci)
  • Speakers: SVS SBS-01 & SB12 Sub 5.1 Speaker Package
  • HDDVD: Toshiba XE1
  • Blu-Ray: PS3 (already own)
  • VHS: Toshiba V634UK (already own)
  • Satellite TV: Sky HD
Now being a complete newbie to this I started to research the best way to connect all this equipment, however being used to my all-in-one Sony DAV-S888 and trusty CRT - Toshiba 36ZP48 I feel a little intimidated by the amount of connections on a seperate AV receiver and how to wire these all together in the best possible way. Now from what I understand the best connections are HDMI/DVI followed by Component and Optical for sound, RGB Scart, S-Video and composite (please correct me if I am wrong). The questions I have are as follows:

So does this mean I need to connect evrything via HDMI/DVI? (I mention DVI because I think that it what the Panny comes with).
Will I need to buy any extra boards with more connections on the Panny?
What I am also a little unsure of is which components connect to what? (DVD to Amp and TV?, Amp to TV?, PS3 to Amp or TV? etc)

I'd like to have all the correct cables here ready to connect the system up when it arrives. Any replies will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

you can get better speakers (looking and sounding) but connect everthing to AMP and then AMP to screen neeed a DVi board for screen (if not included) DVD PS3 and Sky via HDMI and optical (XE1 HDMI only)and DVi to screen job done really but consider other speakers the SVS ones are Butt ugly

you can get better speakers (looking and sounding) but connect everthing to AMP and then AMP to screen neeed a DVi board for screen (if not included) DVD PS3 and Sky via HDMI and optical (XE1 HDMI only)and DVi to screen job done really but consider other speakers the SVS ones are Butt ugly

Hi, thanks for the info. Do you have any advise on the speaker front for around the same price? I don't really care what they look like as I will be watching the screen and not the speakers, but if you know of better sounding ones I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks

The general consensus on here regarding the SVS is they are superb for the money and you have to spend a lot more to get any better. I however didnt listen to that advice as I wanted good looking speakers and didnt want to have to buy stands for all the speakers, so went for the Aegis Evo speaker set up.
For sound quality I think they are right up there, especially for what they cost.
Hope that helps.

The general consensus on here regarding the SVS is they are superb for the money and you have to spend a lot more to get any better. I however didnt listen to that advice as I wanted good looking speakers and didnt want to have to buy stands for all the speakers, so went for the Aegis Evo speaker set up.
For sound quality I think they are right up there, especially for what they cost.
Hope that helps.

Hi kyleseager, yes thanks that does help a lot - I shall stick with the SVS then as I don't mind buying stands and not worried about looks - only how they sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom