Please help my daughter build her first gaming rig

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Hi All.
Daughter has decided she wants to build her own gaming rig. She has an i5 based Lenovo laptop which we've upgraded to 16gb ram and an SSD, but she would like a full blown rig with better graphics and a case with plenty of LED etc.

She has saved £600 for this and will need the PC itself, keyboard and mouse for this money. I've liberated her a decent low latency FHD monitor from work which will do for now and we have headsets etc.

Please could you recommend a suitable mobo / processor at her price point and how much she should allow for things like led fans and a decent looking case. Planning on 16gb ram and a large SSD. Is there any benefit to fitting separate data and program drives for gaming? What graphics card and PSU does she have budget for? She enjoys racing games, Minecraft COD etc but ultimate frame rate and detail I guess will be a compromise at this budget.

What sort of keyboard and controller should she look at? She currently just uses the laptop keyboard but would she be better with a mechanical one? It's a given that it needs to light up...

Anything else to consider - Windows version, that sort of thing?

We will build this together as I've constructed a few at work in my time, but I've not normally been worried about the aesthetics or optimising for gaming. Video editing has normally been my key driver to the design and build, which is of no importance here.

Tia

Ono

I looked at PC Partpicker and provided a starter for 10.

The key consideration was the GPU - best here is the GTX 1660 Super (although the 5600XT is better but about £60 more) - but this system is already over budget.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
HI @Ono , many thanks for this.
I think she wants a more exciting case with LEDs, colour changing fans etc. Basic spec looks good though!

Ono

RGB components will cost more. I would look at RGB case fans as the main source of colour :D

BontaKun3000

Can use the setup Ono suggested but just change the case for something off amazon with all the rgb, plenty of cheap cases that come with rgb.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Can use the setup Ono suggested but just change the case for something off amazon with all the rgb, plenty of cheap cases that come with rgb.
Probably something like the below
Check this out at Amazon.co.uk
CiT Raider PC Gaming Case, Mid-Tower ATX, Halo Dual - Ring Spectrum Fans, RGB, PCB Hub w/ Aura Connectivity, RF Controller, MB Sync, Tempered Glass, For a Great Gaming Experience | Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G4GRTQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_V9AWEb94PYRVF

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
She's going to save up a bit more and aim to spend about £750 or so. She earns about £100 per week boxing up model trains sold on eBay and that seems unaffected by COVID!!

Ono

Watched this video this morning - timely as it represents you build budget and requirements:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom