1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help, my 300D has died

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dood, Jul 3, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can't turn on my 300D. I've tried fully charging 2 batteries and neither makes a difference. I've also tried the batteries in the battery grip but no luck.

I bought the camera from Jessops last November so I presume it's still under guarantee. The problem is that I live thousands of miles from the nearest Jessops and in a land where customs and exchange regulations make it impossible for me to send it over.

Could it be something really simple that does not require opening up the camera? I could wait until I make a trip over to the UK to get it fixed but I don't want to lose the use of the camera for months if there's something that could be done.

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    How about Canon SA?

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a nightmare pal

The bodies don’t have international warranties do they?

4. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried removing the lens to see if it will power up then?

Only other thing I can think of is to remove the small battery for the date etc and leave it out for a while so the camera resets completely. (would that battery stop it working?)

I had a quick Google but could not find others with the same trouble.

Fingers crossed.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've tried changing lenses - no difference. I thought the problem may have been induced by obne of two changes I've made recently: I bought a 28-135 and a battery grip off my brother-in-law and were using both of these at the time that the camera stopped working. However the camera was working ok for a while before it crashed. Also my brother-in-law had no problems with the lens or battery grip on his 300D and took over 6000 pictures!

How do I take out the small battery, where is it? I presume this only stores camera data and doesn't fire up the power switch.

I'll try canon SA as I am likely to go there later this month.

6. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just phoned canon SA and they say SA falls under UK so I'm hoping the warranty will be valid there. The tech mentioned that the battery cover and CF card lid both trigger switched that prevent you from turning on the camera if the flaps are not closed. So this is one area that I could inspect. It's possible that with the adding and removing of the battery grip this may have been affected.

7. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    Probably worth removing the CF card if you haven't already in case that's developed a fault & is dragging everything else down.