Question Please help me with my intermittent AV sync issue / Should I sell?

JNMaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got an intermittent problem with either my Sony Bravia KD55XF9005 4K Full Array LED TV or my Denon AVR-X2600H AV Receiver, I think it's the receiver having an issue with the Sony TV but i'm not 100% sure on this.

The Problem:
I'm watching video be it via my Nvidia Shield Pro or Oppo Blu-ray player or AppleTV (ATV3, not the latest model) and even while gaming on the PS4, all of a sudden the picture goes black and a second or 2 later it reconnects, this can happen a from once to several times throughout that day, it once lost sync repeatedly over n over in 1 session and I had to turn the TV off n on again to solve the issue.

Oddly I've never once experienced this problem watching Youtube videos (via NVidia Shield) and I watch YouTube quite often and sometimes for a few hours (Can’t sleep).

This may seem like a small issue but tbh it's really getting on my last nerve, especially when I'm engrossed in a new movie/tv show/anime/game and then Black goes the screen and brought back down to reality. :mad:

When I connect straight to the TV via HDMI without the AV receiver I don't seem to get this problem, so you would think it's the AV receiver right? >But I recently connected the AV Receiver to my new 4K PC monitor and I didn't encounter the problem, I ran the test for 6 hours and nothing went wrong.

I've tried swapping out the hdmi cables several times, be it Amazon or Neet and I've even tried 4K Fibre Optic HDMI Cables which at first I thought that seemed to fix it until it happened again after a few hours or so, it's very hard to narrow down the problem when it's an intermittent issue.

So I can only assume that the Sony TV doesn't like my AV Receiver and/or vice versa.
Does anyone else have this AV combo or another Sony TV with Denon amp that gives this intermittent fault?

Except for this 'sync' issue I'm happy with both my Sony TV and AV receiver but i'm willing to replace either if it will solve the problem. Ideally I would just prefer to replace the receiver as it's the easiest option as trying to find a new TV is stressing me tf out but will replace the TV if it will solve the issue.

UPDATE - 11/11/2020
Thanks for all your suggestions with trying to fix the intermittent Black out glitch but I've now ordered a new Panasonic TV, not sure what to do with the Sony now though...
It's not like it doesn't works but it just doesn't seem to like Denon or Yamaha receivers every now n then.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've got an intermittent problem with either my Sony Bravia KD55XF9005 4K Full Array LED TV or my Denon AVR-X2600H AV Receiver, I think it's the receiver having an issue with the Sony TV but i'm not 100% sure on this.

The Problem:
I'm watching video be it via my Nvidia Shield Pro or Oppo Blu-ray player or AppleTV (ATV3, not the latest model) and even while gaming on the PS4, all of a sudden the picture goes black and a second or 2 later it reconnects, this can happen a from once to several times throughout that day, it once lost sync repeatedly over n over in 1 session and I had to turn the TV off n on again to solve the issue.

Oddly I've never once experienced this problem watching Youtube videos (via NVidia Shield) and I watch YouTube quite often and sometimes for a few hours (Can’t sleep).

This may seem like a small issue but tbh it's really getting on my last nerve, especially when I'm engrossed in a new movie/tv show/anime/game and then Black goes the screen and brought back down to reality. :mad:

When I connect straight to the TV via HDMI without the AV receiver I don't seem to get this problem, so you would think it's the AV receiver right? >But I recently connected the AV Receiver to my new 4K PC monitor and I didn't encounter the problem, I ran the test for 6 hours and nothing went wrong.

I've tried swapping out the hdmi cables several times, be it Amazon or Neet and I've even tried 4K Fibre Optic HDMI Cables which at first I thought that seemed to fix it until it happened again after a few hours or so, it's very hard to narrow down the problem when it's an intermittent issue.

So I can only assume that the Sony TV doesn't like my AV Receiver and/or vice versa.
Does anyone else have this AV combo or another Sony TV with Denon amp that gives this intermittent fault?

Except for this 'sync' issue I'm happy with both my Sony TV and AV receiver but i'm willing to replace either if it will solve the problem. Ideally I would just prefer to replace the receiver as it's the easiest option as trying to find a new TV is stressing me tf out but will replace the TV if it will solve the issue.

AV Receiver budget: £700
>As long as it has the same or better specs of current Denon AVR-X2600H AV Receiver then that's all I need.

OR

4k TV Budget: £1500
>eArc is an Absolute Must, minimum 55" screen although I wouldn't mind a 65",
Eco: I'd like it to be somewhat economical to run, just as long as it doesn't guzzle the electricity like old Plasmas did
Noise/Heat: All new TVs are silent now right? > I know my past 2 Sony LED's have been silent but my previous 2 Panasonic Plasmas we're noisy with fans that output heat like that of a space heater, so yeah, ideally a Silent running TV that doesn't get red hot to touch.
Screen Tech: 10 bit HDR Panel, HDR10 (HDR10+ would be an added bonus) & Dolby Vision
Screen Type: I'd like to say OLED but the power consumption/heat output worries me a little and the burn-in worries me much more so probably Full Array LED/Micro LED unless you can convince me otherwise about OLED.

4K at 120Hz - This is optional and would only be used with the XBox, I certainly wouldn't not choose a really good TV just because it didn't have this feature.

OR if you can point me to some sort of cheaper fix that would be great also :)

I watch mostly Anime/TV Shows/Movies (Plex/Blu-ray/Streaming services), YouTube and some gaming
>I use an NVidia Shield, Oppo Blu-ray, PS4 and hopefully an Xbox Series X (Pre-ordered)

Long question, sorry, Thanks in Advance. :thumbsup:

It does sound like an hdmi handshake issue, normally, switching both devices off, disconnecting hdmi 9n both, , switch both on, then off again and reconnecting hdmi would fix.

Could it be drm protection causing the issues?

What version of hdmi port does your receiver have?

My Denon AVR-X2600H AV Receiver has HDMI 2.0 ports, I did an AVForums Search and found it to be a common problem mostly with Denon receivers when paired with my Sony TV, I'm trying 1 last time with new HDMI cables (this time Premium Certified ones) and then if that doesn't work it'll be either a new TV or Receiver, I dunno.

My Denon AVR-X2600H AV Receiver has HDMI 2.0 ports, I did an AVForums Search and found it to be a common problem mostly with Denon receivers when paired with my Sony TV, I'm trying 1 last time with new HDMI cables (this time Premium Certified ones) and then if that doesn't work it'll be either a new TV or Receiver, I dunno.

I find the amazon basics hdmi cables are as good as any.

Thats a pity that there are issues with tv/receiver.

I find the amazon basics hdmi cables are as good as any.

Thats a pity that there are issues with tv/receiver.
Amazon Basics we're the first hdmi cables I used with this setup, these are the cables that i've tried:
1. AmazonBasics High-Speed, Ultra HD HDMI 2.0 Cable
2. Neet HDMI 2.0b Genuine 28awg cable
3. ATZEBE Fibre Optic HDMI 2.0 High Speed 18Gbps Cable
4. Ultra HDTV 4K HDMI Cable Premium Certified HDMI 2.0b Lead
5. AmazonBasics Premium-Certified Braided HDMI 2.0 Cable

I've used a short a cable run as possible (TV to receiver 1m, receiver to device 0.5 - 1m) which had no effect.
>I even tried mix n matching cables cos why not right? - no difference though.

Yeah, it was not the cable. :(
I've now ordered a new Yamaha receiver to see if that fixes the problem...

Amazon Basics we're the first hdmi cables I used with this setup, these are the cables that i've tried:
1. AmazonBasics High-Speed, Ultra HD HDMI 2.0 Cable
2. Neet HDMI 2.0b Genuine 28awg cable
3. ATZEBE Fibre Optic HDMI 2.0 High Speed 18Gbps Cable
4. Ultra HDTV 4K HDMI Cable Premium Certified HDMI 2.0b Lead
5. AmazonBasics Premium-Certified Braided HDMI 2.0 Cable

I've used a short a cable run as possible (TV to receiver 1m, receiver to device 0.5 - 1m) which had no effect.
>I even tried mix n matching cables cos why not right? - no difference though.

Yeah, it was not the cable. :(
I've now ordered a new Yamaha receiver to see if that fixes the problem...

Thats disappointing, I hope that the yamaha is an improvement, do you have a return period if its still the same issue?

Yes, I got it from Amazon so it's returnable until January 31st. :)
My signature is a bit out of date btw, I can't change it either an it appears I've been downgraded to a Novice member. :(

Just a few comments.
  • I have been using Yamaha AV receivers with Sony TV's for year without any issues. so fingers crossed.
  • About three years ago a friend had problems with his Denon AV receiver and TV HDMI handshake and eventually returned and switched to a Pioneer AV receiver which solved the issue.
  • Whilst troubleshooting turning off eARC on all devices if enabled might be worth trying (appreciate you do want eARC thou).
  • This site has quite a lot of info: http://site.hdtvsupply.com/hdcp1.html
  • Have you updated all firmware including TV?
  • I have yet to come across any OLED TV's with burn in issues with normal usage including myself and I often watch channels with logo's ticker tape scrolling etc.
  • The KD55XF9005 PQ is excellent, it is a top notch TV apart from Android menu system which I gather is stuck at Oreo.
  • Although I am happy enough with my Sony TV, a friend of mine with an LG 65CX5LB (2020) has less issues as far as I can see. The PQ is excellent, very natural colours and when watching an action film I might notice some minor motion stuttering a couple of times for a split second compared to my Sony, but hardly justifies the price difference. The LG menu system and DLNA playback via a Qnap NAS is flawless, it handles everything. My Sony is much more fussy about 4k codecs and file types.
Good luck with the Yamaha, be interesting to see it fixes.

I used to have a Pioneer receiver back when I was using Panasonic Plasma's but when I switched to Sony LED I had to change my receiver due to incompatibility with new HDMI formats, so naturally I purchased another Pioneer but found the quality to be sub par (2015) so made the switch to Denon which seemed really good until I did a firmware update with my Denon 2200 so Atmos n such would work with my then new Sony KD55XF9005, the firmware update bricked the amp :(
It was long out of warranty so decided to get the new Denon AVR-X2600H, this came with extended warranty so I don't mind updating it's firmware now although I won't do it on the weekend on the off chance it bricks it as I wouldn't want to be stuck without a receiver for several days lol.

TV Firmware is also upto date.
Yeah the TV menu system could be a bit sluggish, I did tweak it a little via Android developer options so adjusting picture quality while watching the tv is smooth.

After having researched several OLED tv's vs FALDs I think OLED would offer me the best picture improvement, if I do buy a new TV then I think I'll go back to Panasonic and buy a TX-65HZ1000B OLED
JL offer an additional Accidental warranty that covers Screen Burn @ £140 for 5 years which is a small price for peace of mind.

I probably should have held back looking into new TV's until I had tested out the Yamaha as damn, I kind of want that Panasonic now, lol.

The Yamaha receiver did not fix the issue :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom