1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me with my hard disk problem - or somethings going out the window

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ilkand, May 5, 2004.

1. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just got a couple of 160gb ide samsung drives. My xp is on a 40 gb disk as master on the first ide channel.
    Which ever new disk I put as master on the second channel XP sees as 160 gb, but whichever I put as slave xp only sees 40 gb of it.
    If it is slave on the first ide channel it also only sees 40 gb of it.
    The disks are clearly ok. Is there a limit to the size of a slave?
    I have sp1 and the latest bios for my abit be7 motherboard.
    Have I wasted my money?

Cheers for any help
    Andy

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    As far as I understand there was a limit with XP until you install SP1 but that was on any master or slave.

When I was looking into why my 160gb was misread by XP I found several complaints about compatibiilty between drive makes.

Have you updated the IDE drivers, checked the cable etc. What happens if you put the 40gb on second ide channel and the 2 160gbs on the first?

3. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your reply,
    I have checked the cables and tried the disks in different places. I have not changed ide drivers though. I have the latest Intel chipset INF update. Are the ide drivers a separate thing?
    Looking at the bios suggests it is also misreading it, so perhaps it is not an xp thing.
    Not sure what to do next, really.

Andy

4. Ivan8192

Ivan8192
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

With both new drives on the second channel, are you saying that autodetecting the hardrives in the BIOS does NOT report two identical drives on your second channel?

Stupid question I know, but you're definitely setting the master/slave jumpers correctly? I have seen a hard drive that had a size-limiting jumper, presumably for compatibility with old BIOSs.

What does the BIOS autodetect if you disconnect your 40GB drive and put your two new drives on the first IDE channel? Obviously it won't boot, but does it detect them correctly?

Ivan.

5. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Ivan,

disconnected the 40 gb disk and checked the bios with the 2 x 160gb disks on the first ide channel. One is 160gb (master), other is about 31gb (slave). Jumpers are set as master and slave appropriately.
    Got the latest bios for my motherboard and looking on the abit forum can find no other mention of such problems.

Cheers
    Andy

6. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Solved it thanks.

Messed about in the bios and told it not to autodetect, rebooted, then went back into the bios and told it to autodetect, and semmed to clear it.:clap:

Cheers

Andy