1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me with my graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Trojan, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Trojan

Trojan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Hello
    I have just installed a new graphics card which is a HIS Excalibur Radeon 9200 se which has a dvi and vga outputs. I got this to replace my Radeon 9000 which only had one vga output which ment that if I wanted to use my monitor I would have to unplug my projector and plug my monitor in and vice versa if I wanted to use my projector. With the new card I wanted to have both monitor and projector plugged in and also a resulotion of 1024x780 for my monitor and 856x480 for my projector but i am have a lot of problems. I have tried everything to get this to work but I end up with just my desktop wallpaper on my monitor and on my projector I have the wallpaper and all my shortcut icons on the projector. I have fiddled with everything regarding extended desktop and about primary monitor but it is all very confusing. Could someone be so kind as to give me an idots guide on how I can get this to work.

Thank you :lease:

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Extended desktop is not intented to do what you want - it is just an extension of your main desktop.

You have the same problem that I and others (Messiah) have - attempting to get 2 discrete outputs for 2 separate displays.

I have not been able to do this also and according to Sapphire tech support, it's not possible.

The best I can do is get the output displayed on my TFT and plasma at the same time but at the same resolution.

So, if I want to use my TFT, I set the resolution to 1600 x 1200 (which makes the plasma image disappear) and if I want to use my plasma I set it to 1280 x 768 (which makes the TFT image small but useable).

HTH

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't need both displays together you can setup shortcut keys, Alt + F5 for example. Then just switch between displays. That's what I do with PJ & TFT monitor.

:smoke:

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Will this automatically change the resolution and physical connection (DVI or VGA) for each specific display?
    If so, can you give instructions as I can only get it to switch using the same resolution... :(

5. Trojan

Trojan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Thank you Gents for your help. Kramer like Brogan I too would like to know about how to set up a hotkey way of changing displays and resolutions.

Thank you

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    Powerstrip supports hot key changing of resolutions....IIRC

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I was looking for a FOC way of doing it.
    Me, tight?! :D

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I use Powerstrip. I use two shortcuts: one to change resolutions & the other to switch between displays. They're integrated into some macros & remote controlled (obviously :D ).

:smoke:

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    The trial version of powerstrip is fully functional you just have to deal with a progressively longer lasting pop up when it loads.

It is less than £20 for a full license though and I do recommend people actually buy it at some point if its a mainstay for their HTPC. Otherwise we would't have it.

10. Trojan

Trojan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Thank you all for your help. I have the full version of powerstrip and I also use a pronto remote so I should be able to do as Kramer has done. I have had powerstrip for ages and did not think it could alot more than change resolution so you learn something new every day.
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    yep, powerstrip is free, but its only a few $$ to register, and you get kept upto date with upgrades etc.