• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please help me upgrade (3GS 3.0 (7A341))

Maniac618

Hi everyone,

I have a 32GB 3GS stuck at:

3.0 7A341 with Modem Firmware 04.26.08

I used the redsn0w pwnage tool thing ages ago, around a year ago and at some point got to version 3.0 7A341 with the same techniques.

I am posting this asking for any help at all getting myself up to the latest version possible having used redsn0w.

I don't mind reversing my jailbreak if I knew how in order to jailbreak another way to get to a later version.

I don't have a MAC so I cannot Jailbreak with any technique requiring a MAC at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated as the current version I am on means I can't use a lot of new Apps.

Again thanks for any help at all.

Last edited:

DarkEntity

update to the newest version via I-Tunes then use the Spirit jailbreak

Spirit

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Do you need to unlock at all or just jailbreak? If you update to 3.1.3 then you can't currently unlock, but jailbreak is easy with Spirit as linked to above.

Maniac618

I just need to jailbreak or at worst just have an up to date version (don't need a carrier unlock).

I take it I lose everything if I update via i-Tunes though right? Won't I have to completely wipe my phone?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Yep, an update will totally wipe the phone. So just make sure you back up in iTunes, then update, then restore from backup :)

This will only backup and restore Apple stuff and not anything from Cydia so look at backing those up separately if you have anything you need to keep.

Maniac618

so look at backing those up separately if you have anything you need to keep.

Are there any utilities for doing so, thanks for your help so far.

So I don't need to do any rollbacks or anything, literally just backup in i-tunes and ask for latest version via i-tunes right?

pavr27

Are there any utilities for doing so, thanks for your help so far.

So I don't need to do any rollbacks or anything, literally just backup in i-tunes and ask for latest version via i-tunes right?

For backing up your jailbreak apps:

Install Rock from Cydia, use Rock to backup all your JB apps (Manage, Settings)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I use PkgBackup from Cydia. It's a paid for app but when you run it, it creates a proper backup file that is backed up to iTunes when you run a normal backup. It also restores everything when you do a normal iTunes restore.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
The baseband is all about the modem and whether it can be software unlocked or not. Seeing a you don't need the unlock, it shouldn't affect you in any way as far as I know.

DarkEntity

glad to hear its all working, now we just need to wait for iOS4 :)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
No worries :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom