1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me upgarde

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by luckky, Nov 21, 2004.

1. luckky

luckky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I have £500 to spend on upgrading my kit and I have no idea what to spend it on, can anyone help me?

I have a pioneer dv 444 player, a pioneer vsx c300 amp runing 5.1 mordaunt short ms 302's, ms304 centre speaker and the ms308 sub. I also have the standard sky +

I have just upgraded my tv to a philips 30pf9975.

Now, I have heard that this TV is not really that great with components and using a rgb scart is better. Has anyone seen the difference?

That aside, do I buy a new dvd player (I would need one that plays dvd-r and is mulitregion) and upgrade my basic speaker wire and two scarts or do i but a new amp and wires or do i split the money and buy a new dvd and amp? If so what Amps or dvd players would you guys buy for around this figure and do you think the picture quality improvement is worth the money?

Lastly what speaker wire should I use, i was going to buy a decent 1metre wire for my centre (£50), some half decent wire 3metre wire for my front two sats. (£50) and some cheap £2 per metre for my rears as I need about 9metres for one and 9 8metres for the other. Is this worth the money with the amp and speakers I have or could afford with £500.

Sorry i have run on but I would really love you to help me, Luckky

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Luckky

I think the obvious question I would ask myself in that scenario is basically what am I not happy with ?

If you are happy with the sound your system has, but would like DVD-A/SACD or aren't thrilled with some element of your DVD player - then maybe something like the Pioneer 575a which is around £120. This plays multi-region and virtually anything you throw at it - including Divx files and is very nice for the price (even with Progressive for PAL/NTSC).

If you are happy with your DVD but not your amp - they maybe something like the Denon 1705 (around £220) or 1905 (around £250) or Marantz SR5400 (I've seen it for £350 but I know other people have quoted it as cheaper).

Speakers and wiring - ermmm that's a personal choice and I won't say anything on that, other than it depends on the amp you're running - and as you may upgrade that it's one I'm not going to put my neck on the proverbial block for. I will say that I changed my Coax cable from a cheap generic one to a custom made Canare cable and the sound change was phenomenal!

I think if you are unhappy with your setup then the DVD/AMP would be your best immediate route IMO - however I'm sure others have different opinions.

Again I really feel you should focus on what you are unhappy or most unhappy with and work from there.

Hope this helps !

3. luckky

luckky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for the reply.

I am not unhappy with anything really, i just wondered if i could get an improvement out of either the sound or the picture quality.

The reason I posted is that I dont know what sort of improvements I would expect to see/hear.The problem is is that I am not in a position where i can see for myself what sort of improvements unless i buy something and run it side by side. hence why i am hoping you guys can help. :D

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have these speakers, which are great.

I would upgrade the DVD and amp. As to which ones, you have three categories:
    1. Brand new, latest models
    2. Brand new, previous models (about a year old)
    3. Second hand.

For the DVD player, I would choose option 1 (cos theyre dirt cheap anyway). If you want decent sound quality try one of the Marantz models (DV4500), as they are known for decent sound as well as picture. You will get one for about £190 if you look around online.

For the amp, I would choose option 2. The difference in a year's technology where amps are concerened arent that huge. Last year I paid £300 for my Yamaha DSP-AX640SE, which retailed at £400. I think you could get one now for about £200.

Bare in mind these are just examples. It all depend on which manufacturers you prefer.

Whatever you do though, make sure you get decent speaker cable. I use QED bronze (about £3/mtr) which is excellent quality. But I would say any cable around £2-3/mtr would be suitable.

So,
    DVD - £200
    amp - £200
    cable - £100.

This would be a hell of an upgrade sound-wise to your pioneer gear.

Happy days

5. luckky

luckky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, does anyone know if its worth going for comonent leads or rgb for this set up?

also how much difference sound quality it would make if i used £10 per metre rather than £2 per metre cables for the speakers at the front?

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way you'll benefit from spending £10/m on cable is to buy speakers worth more than twice the Mordaunt-Shorts. £2/m for these speakers is fine.

7. luckky

luckky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much, ill stick with the basic wire. You guys are a great help, now about the benefit of component over rgb?

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Can't comment on your TV per se - but Component is usually better than RGB Scart. However if your belief is right - get a decent Scart cable. I've used a Thor cable (which I got from Play - or are available in Maplins of all places) and got a decent picture from my DVD-Recorder. I do however use Component for my 575 and HDMI for my Denon.

9. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say 'basic' wire, how basic are we talking? I wouldnt use tat. These are still quality speakers and you will probaly notice a difference between 50p/m and £2/m.

10. luckky

luckky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2pm or 2.50 seems to be about right. i will go for something like qed origional or bronze which i have seen for about £2.50.
    is it worth getting banana plugs at this level and again of so, where from or what make/model and how much?

11. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get banana plugs if you want to keep it tidy, but you won't notice a difference in sound - waste of money if you ask me, unless, again, you spend big bucks on your equipment