1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me understand Eltax Evolutions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KraGorn, Sep 13, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I recently got some Eltax Evolutions dirt cheap ... ie. £100 ... and have no idea if they're "good" but they're doing fine for me at the moment as I build my HT ... busy installing an AE300 + SR4300 at present ... so please don't tell me they're considered cr@p by the cognoscenti. :D

The speakers came without any instructions and there's a couple of things about them I can't figure out:

1) the front main speakers have two pairs of terminals with a jumper connecting one pair to the other. From experimentation they seem to feed the mid-range and tweeters respectively.

WHY? What benefit is there to be able to drive these from separate power amps (which I'm assuming is the purpose)?

2) there's a switch for "phase", being '0' and '180' ... I think this is part of the bulti-in sub-woffer amp, but again can't see it's purpose. Well, obviously I know it creates an anti-phase signal, but I don't see or indeed hear what effect that has.

Can someone please explain these myteries?

Cheers.

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Krag

The 2 pairs of terminal are for bi-amping/bi-wiring. It's claimed that the sound quality can be improved if you send 2 sets of wire to a speaker from the same output on your amp. Keep the jumpers in place if only mono wiring and take it out if you are biwiring. Bi-amping is similar except using 2 amps to drive 2 speakers. One amp per speaker.

Never tried either myself. Some reckons it's 'Emperors new clothes/ others have noticed big differences.

Cheers

Chris

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for that description Chris. It surprised me a little since I fail to see any electronic reason why two feeds from the same power-amp should drive the units different from one feed with the shunts in place ... I see you're sceptical too. ;)

Using different power-amps with tuned filtering I guess would make sense for audiophiles, I doubt my old ears would notice the difference. :)

Thanks for that ... any idea on the 'phase' switch?

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Not 100% sure. I believe some separate subs have a phase switch which allows you to tune the phase of the sub with the other speakers in the room - especially if the sub is placed away from the main speakers.

Not quite sure how this applies to the elatxes. Some playing around required I guess. It's not my area of expertise TVH.

Cheers

Chris

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, thanks anyway. I did play around some time ago and couldn't detect any difference so was asking in case someone indicated what I should be looking for.

Cheers