Please help me to choice : 37 or 42 inches ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by thierfeu, Oct 6, 2004.

1. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm french (nobody's perfect...) and trying to find plasma-high-equipment-ratio-country residents opinions about Plasma TV

first of all, i would like to replace my CRT 32' by a plasma. My average viewing distance (depends of on which armchair is the cat sleeping ;) ) is almost 3m. Is 42 inches a mandatory ? i'm quite afraid by 42's size and higly consider 37's purchasing as a nice compromise

what is your opinion about this format (37')? isn't it a waste of money to buy ONLY a 37 inch as a Plasma investment ?

considering the distance, what would you advice me : high resolution smaller panel or lower resolution bigger panel ?

second question is more focused on choice ? following is my short-list, may I have your opinion about several PDP ?

37'

Samsung PS 37S4A -> a new one with 1024 1024 resolution and nice contrast (3000) DVI, YUV and all image improvement algorythms

Hitachi 37PD 5200 -> high resolution too, lower contrast overall nice picture quality IMO

42'

Samsung PS 42S4S -> same design as ^^ but lower resolution panel (but DVI and YUV for digital inputs)

LG RZ42PX11 -> standart resolution, lower price, seems to have nice picture enhancement algorythm

THANK you very much for your help

Best regards :)

Thierry

you may consider i've copy-pasted a thread i've made in the Aussie's forum : YES I DID :spam:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    Welcome to the forums :smashin:

This really comes down to personal choice, I am in a similar boat to yourself – I currently sit just over 3m away from the screen and am seriously thinking about 37”. The 42” just seems a little too big for day-to-day viewing although I do concede that watching films on a 42” may be more ‘cinematic’!

I’ve spoken to several dealers and they do say that many people who buy 42” screens don’t realise how big they really are when it’s brought back to their house. Screens can sometimes look quite small in shops but look absolutely huge when placed in your living room.

Also it is a fact that a larger screens will have more artefacts (if they are the same resolution). For that reason, and endless demos, I’ve made up my mind on a 37”.

I don’t know too much about your short-list of screens but I’m personally deciding between the Panasonic Viera 37PE30 or the Sony 37”. However I’m not too keen on ALIS screens so am veering towards the Viera.

Hope that helps!

3. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wife and I have just bought a Panasonic Viera plasma and had exactly the same thoughts as you - 37" or 42"? We also sit about 3m away. I looked at both sizes and did a scale plan of my room (geeky I know but it helped) showing what each size would look like, and basically it became obvious that the 42" would dominate our lounge too much whereas the 37" was perfect - not too big for the room but not too small for movies. We got the 37" on Monday and it looks absolutely perfect. The picture is superb and movies look fabulous! We've sat there spellbound just marvelling at the picture for ages.

If I was going for the cinema effect then I'd probably be getting a 42" or maybe a projector but if you want a "TV setup" that is going to look great and not dominate your room then you need to choose the right size - bigger is not always better!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,056
    TV screens shrink after purchase. Not really, of course, but it is undoubtedly true that you become accustomed to them in time and, what appears initially to be huge, begins to seem "normal" - even small. If you have the space, go for the largest you can fit or afford.

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I bought a 42" and it was only 3 weeks before I wished I'd gone for a 50".
    Bigger is always better in my opinion and with that viewing distance I do not think you would have problems.

6. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know exactly what you mean and of course that means that buying the biggest you can afford is fruitless! No matter what you get you will always get used to it or take it for granted.

At risk of sounding boring - it isn't. It is better sometimes but not always. It all depends what you want. For example, if I'd have bought a 50" then I know I'd have made the wrong choice because in my lounge I don't want a lump of plastic to be the focal point - I want the nice fireplace to stand out, or at least not be totally overshadowed by a TV. So for me, a medium sized screen was the best because the size suits the style of the room. If I was building a dedicated cinema room in my house then obviously a big screen or projector is probably the way to go. My brother-in-law has a 50" Sony and it looks daft - you walk into a nice room in a period house and see this ugly great lump of grey and it just doesn't go - that's not good design.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    I have to say that I agree with rich_b on this.

I’ve lived with a 28” 4:3 CRT for many years without feeling the need for a bigger picture. For a dedicated room I can understand that bigger maybe better, but for a normal living room a balance is required. I have a couple of friends with huge 50” RPT’s and they look so out of place. Also I’ve found that watching TV on their screens can give you a headache as the viewing distance (~3m) doesn’t warrant such a big screen. Day-to-day viewing would be a chore IMO. :smoke:

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would go for the 42". The problem with CRTs & RPT's is that they are so bulky. Because a plasma is so slimline, it tends not to dominate a room so much at all.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    size counts
    If a woman ever says "size doesn't matter" to you, what she really means is yours is too small.

10. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I agree completely. I sit less than 3m from my plasma (42") and I don't think it dominates the room at all, and our lounge is quite small. The plasma is nearly flush against the wall, and because it doesn't 'stick out' in fits in very nicely. I had a 36" CRT for a while, and it looked absolutely huge in the room, and totally out of place. It had to go!

It did take some time getting used to the size of the picture, but now I'm really comfortable with it, and movies do look excellent. Anything smaller than 42" now would look tiny!

11. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    42" (or 43" in my case) is ideal.
    My room is around 2.5m away from the wall !!!
    As long as you wall mount it ... it will be ok ...
    (note: I'm still waiting for mine ...but I have done all the calculations too!)

12. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I sit 3m from my gf's wall mounted 37" and you certainly do get used to it, it looked big when it was new and now it seems totally normal, although her friends are always very impressed first time they see it. I wouls also say 37" is definitely not too small you could buy it and be very happy for TV and movies, you would not be disappointed compared to your television.

I think (unless your room is a cinema) that 42" would be the maximum size that could fit and be comfortably watched. I am not convinved it would be a notably better experience though. Good luck with your purhcase whatever you get :smoke:

13. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit surprised that such a key factor like "perceived image quality" isn't mentioned more here. Even the best plasma screens do produce artefacts, like video noise, solarisation (which gets ugly at times e.g. on moving faces), banding and motion/compression related artefacts.

Obviously the larger the screen the more these artefacts are visible and can indeed become very annoying. I'd say 3m is kind of at the edge for switching from 37" to 42", depending on the desired trade-off b/w screen size and tolerance to artefacts.

Hence I'd strongly suggest you and your significant half go tour some HC shops and make sure you make the right decision... Bonne chance! ;)

14. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if flat wall mounting go for a 42" if going for a TV style floorstand in the corner then 37" probably more suitable
    Also a 42" Panel is often thhe same size as a 37" TV
    42PW7 panel Panny 1020 x 610 x 89mm
    37PE30 PA30 in France 1040 x 697 x 99mm
    Scary really isnt it.................
    from http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/index.htm

16. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh thank you so much for your response

I was afraid my question may appear ODD to you...but the debate it involved prooves the contrary phew !

i more and more focus my attention on the new Samsung 37S4A, of which I have many difficulties to find any issue

Considering size, i forgot an important point : WIFE AGREEMENT !!

it took one year to have Plasma purchasing agreement, but then she saw 42 insches today she said : NO WAY BABY !! ouch, fight for 42 inches looks though

well I now hesitate between Samsung and Hitachi. I love both
    price may make a difference samsung is 3000 euros, Hitachi is 3500 euros

PS : for hornydragon : yes it is going for a TV style floorstand in the corner
    max distance will be 3m maybe 3,5. And kid will play a lot xbox 1,5 to 2 meters from TV

thanks again for your help and opinion

Thierry

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Thierry have a search for Alis and see what you think have you seen the Panasonic Veira or new PW7 panel both available at 37" sizes.....

18. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Viera makes flat panels ? I thought he was Arsenal's captain :offtopic:

ok I will have a look to opinions about Alis (nice link welcome)

and survey (unknown) PW7

This forum is full of kind and helpfull people, thanks again

Edit : in panasonif website they say : "High-Definition Plasma Television", but it's a 852 x 480 panel....don't understand they say "progressive plasma panel" (new baby pixels will born soon ?)

The PW7 seems GREAT, really BUT pricey two my divorce limit is 3000 euros, Panny is 3600 ouch... but iI keep an eye opened

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  20. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol "search tool"

:oops:

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  22. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If your thinking of wall mounting i would go with 42" but if your thinking on having a stand go with the 37" . I went from a 32" crt to a wall mounted PW6 size isn't an issue IMO but then again i'm a bloke and we all know womens Inches are smaller than a blokes ;)

23. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wall mounting or floor standing factor is an important point. Part of the reason why I chose the 37" Viera was that I was going to put it on the stand in a corner, mostly against the short wall of a rectangular room. If I was able to wall mount it on the wider side of the room then a 42" would have looked just fine. Like I said, it's just a case of what works well in each situation.

24. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG why did I post this thread ?

I had one problematic : 42 vs 37 .... it's solved now

I have a new one, now : Samsung or hitachi (Alis) vs Panasonic (Viera)

Pana is really nice looking, found it at 2600/3000 € with stand

BUT BUT .... is 852 x 480 Viera picture is nicer than 1024 x 1024 Alis one
    (considering contrast , Mach , real gamma, real black etc)
    before coming here, it was an evidence, until readings of the thread about Alis...

AND AND, the lack of digital connection of the PANA is not an issue ? it's probably not HDTV compatible;??

PLEASE PANA owner give me your feelings ?

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    res upto 1080i can be carried by component inputs which panny has... Alis panels are NOT 1024 x 1024 as only half vertical pics are light at any time......so more like 1024x512 with really odd possible artifacts lots of Jagged lines on movement etc there are some very happy Alos panel owners out there.... but so are the panny SD owners.... for Video 852x 480 is native res for NTSC and a little below PAL res.... best for video is 1920x1080 (no plasma has this) or 1366x768 (most 50" are this res) or 1024x720 like pioneer plasma 43" PErsonally i have no issue reconmending the Veira in the UK not seen european PA30 model we get PE30 unique to uk...

26. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your help is very precious to help me to make my mind

I had a vision of plasma world that could be sum pu as :

852 x 450 = CRAP
    More = Nice

With the ALIS "half scan trick" , my vision is less manichean

To solve this, I will go back to the store, and try to let my eyes feel by themselves, regardless the datas written beside the Screen...

DO you have the PANA stand ? you like it ? it looks really nice 400€ difference, maybe it worths the price

Thanks again.... especially Dragon, your vision helps me A LOT

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    free holiday should sort it out mate Stand is free in UK at the moment.... In uk the price of TV does not include any stand so you have to buy the floor stand, table top stand or wall bracket seperatley.... But panasonic UK being nice are giving the floor stand away see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154519 ..... for the deals we can get.... If you buy from germany the prices can be very low i have seen figures of under €2000 for the 42" from german online site........

PS I dont own one but until last month i used to sell and install them.....

28. rhodos

rhodos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Horny/anyone, is the PW7 the same screen as the viera without the speakers/tuner etc? I prefer it coz of overall dimensions being smaller for same screen size.

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    veira is PW6 based has a PW6 in a shiny case...........

30. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thierfeu,

If your plasma is to be sited in a corner, a wife friendly aspect of the Hitachi is the swivel desktop stand.

This allows the plasma to sit on quite a narrow piece of furniture and takes up alot less space than a floor stand.