Please Help Me Spend My Money

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aiboman, Jun 23, 2004.

1. aiboman

aiboman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks
    Well I have saved up around £1500 (could push this a little higher if needed) to upgrade my basic setup, I have at the moment a Toshiba 36" Picture frame TV that I am using the speakers that came with the set, I am pretty much happy with the TV yes a plasma would be nice but thats a dream I will have to make happen another day!

So what I would like to do is change my DVD Player add a amp and a set of surround sounds speakers & sub, space is a little ltd in the stand that came with the tv so I was hoping to get one of those slimline amps & dvd players that Denon & Pioneer are doing

Speakers need to be wife friendly! I like the size of the Kef (eggs) but I do like the looks of the new Kef 5005's

So is there anybody out there who could put together a shopping list together for me based on the budget I have which is about £1500+ but under £2000 if poss that would be great

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could try here

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/den770KHT.htm

Denon slimline amp+receiver+Kef Eggs for £1190, inc cables, well under budget.

Probably about another £400 for the 5005's.

I'd recommend listening to the eggs first though. I like them, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Balders.

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about a Denon 2805 Amp, Denon 2200 DVD Player, then Kef eggs or B&W VM1s? or VLM or VMS or whatever they are called :)

EDIT: I know they ain't slimline but they are just about in budget and would be darn good.

Steff

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would also recommend looking at the Mordaunt Short Premeire plus/avant system and if it comes out in time there new Genie system. The only thing felt bad with the eggs is the sub is poor. The sub with the 5005 system is much better:smashin:

www.mordauntshort.co.uk

5. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dare I mention the name of That magazine :) "What Hifi" love the eggs but recommend you buy the bigger PSW4000? Sub with them.

Steff

My eggs all do the back duties, and I have a Rel Q100e so I haven't actually heard the Kef Sub.

6. aiboman

aiboman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I only live about 25miles from Creative Audio so I will be going there at some point

the Kef eggs are a serious consideration but It's just the looks are not my cup of tea esp using an egg as a center speaker (would look a bit funny on the top of my tv methinks) I will have to goto creative audio for a demo of them

another thing that puts me of the eggs is there size does something that small sound as good as everybody says they do ? the speakers that came with the Tosh tv I know are crap but would the eggs give me the improvement I am looking for?

I would like to stick to a slimline rec & dvd if poss ( I just don't have the space ) the only thing I have thought about in going with a full size amp is.. can you hide it away ie stick it behind the tv and use some kinda ir blaster thingy ???

one last thing that has been on my mind is if I went with the KEF 5005's is do you think the Denon AVR-770SD would struggle with the 5005's

7. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the eggs would be miles better than your tv speakers. they lack a little in weight because of there size but are great for a first time home cinema.

CaM

8. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've got a Tosh 36ZP18, and upgraded to the eggs from the standard Tosh suround speakers. The eggs are only a little bigger, but there's simply no comparison in the sound quality. Don't forget with the eggs that because the tweeter is mounted in the centre of the cone, it makes them smaller than the standard top/bottom rectangular design.

As for the sub, there were issues with the original 2005.1 package, but the sub in the 2005.2 package is much improved, and for most people it seems quite acceptable (depends on how much of an audiophile you are). Some reviews I have read have been very complimentary about the sub, considering the price of the package. Buying the PSW4000 sub to go with the eggs would be overkill, IMHO, as the sub would cost more than the eggs!

The centre egg does take a little getting used to if you put it on top of the TV, but I don't actually notice mine now. I was thinking of rearranging my kit to put the egg in the stand below the TV, but I can't be bothered now!

If you want, I can send you a photo of my setup - send me a PM if it would be useful.

The only real way of knowing is for you to have a listen for yourself. I'd recommend comparing the eggs to a set of 'normal' speakers, and maybe the B&W VM1's, just so that you've got something to compare against.

Balders.

9. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    You could always go with the set up balders has suggested earlier in this thread (Denon slimline amp+receiver+Kef Eggs for £1190, inc cables), and as the amp is 6.1, you could buy one of the speakers from the 5005 set, which I think are sold seperatly. You could use this speaker as the front centre speaker (to match the TV better), and move the 2001.2 centre speaker to the centre rear. I believe the 2005.2, and 5005 will integrate quite well, but worth checking.

I can also say that I use the 2005.2 speaker set, and they sound a lot bigger than they actually are. Try and get a demo. You will not be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Ricky