1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me spend my brothers money!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bruce123, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My brother has a budget of about £4000 and wants to acheive a home cinema based around a plasma screen. He currently owns a Wharfdale 750 R2 DVD player, a Sky digibox and a philips VCR.

His main viewing pleasure is Sky sports (football to be more precise) however the rest of his family like to enjoy the odd film.

I have been thinking on the lines of budget Plasma (LG ***17 or Hitachi ***400 or similar), Amp (I was leaning towards the Denon 3803 for its up-conversion of video and lip sync delay features) and speakers (perhaps a package from Mission like Fs1).

My concerns are that the display might be a false economy regretted at a later date and that the amp is overkill for his needs.

I have no experience of Plasma (personally enjoying a B4 708) and am also concerned about connections and lip sync delay issues with Sky.

I would very much appreciate the benefit of other members knowledge and recommendations for a system set up to answer his needs within the budget. Thanks in anticipation.

Bruce

2. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The denon amp range is very popular and a great performer (I have a 3802 myself).

If you feel it might be overkill then you could think about either a used 3802 which are starting to become available for a good discount.

Alternatively you might want to think about a 2802/3.

the 3802 doesnt upconvert to Component though, (and im not sure off the top of my head if the 3803 does for that matter). Im sure someone will be along shortly to clarify this.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    3803 will take composite and s-video up to component. Of course with Sky you really want to go other way and get a JohnSim rgb to component convertor.

Gordon

4. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I have been keeping a keen eye on the classified forum.

Gordon, I take it the device you mention takes the RGB signal via scart and converts it to component so that it can then be switched via an amp or fed directly into the display device. I take it that this is necessary to enjoy the best available picture from Sky whilst enjoying the video switching capabilities of the amp?
    Would this have an adverse affect with the picture dropping off behind the sound and producing lip sync issues? Of course by not having the up-conversion facility in order to watch a video for example multiple video connections would be required, correct?

Bruce

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Bruce123

As you know the Denon AVR-3803 has its own built in audio delay feature so any lip-sync you encounter can be compensated for on-board the AV Receiver.

Another nice feature of the AVR-3803 being that the on-screen set up menus are now available on the Component feed - though you blank out the picture whilst in this mode; but it does save running an extra Composite or S-Video cable just to get menus.

Using the JS Technology RGB2YUV converter for SKY directly to a display or an AV Amp with YUV switching has not been an issue with regards to lip-sync - any lip sync encountered is usually down to the SKY feed or the plasma doing its internal processing.

Within a £4K budget the AVR-3803 may well be overkill - personally I'd start with the display that best pleases you eye and then work back from there; you can always start with a fairly lowly amp/speaker combo and upgrade piece by piece for fairly little money but get the wrong display and you could end up paying out a lot extra to swap it at some point.

Best regards

Joe

6. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe. Another early riser I see.

I would realy like to steer him towards the 3803, which I have found for under £700, thinking this would become the heart of any system upon which he can build up from. After a cheap speaker system like the mission this leaves about £3k for the plasma panel.

I realise there are a number of panels at this pricepoint, are there any to avoid that you are aware of or any points to look out for prior to my visit to Nexnix and others? Thanks.

Bruce