1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me setup my surround sound!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matthoulb, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Matthoulb

Matthoulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have this TV at home (will get the model number later - it's a 32" Flat screen Sony btw). What i want to do is setup surround sound on it, however i have like no money :rolleyes: and i would only need it for watching films, the rest of the time it would need to be taken away.

Here are some photo's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From that it looks as though i can just plug the speakers straight in. It says they need to be 8ohms though :(
    I have two pairs of speakers, Gale Satellite 10 (8ohms) and JPW ML310 (6ohms). Do you think these will work? even though the one set says they are 6ohms?

I also have made a quick diagram of the room as i would like suggestions as to where to place the speakers. However my parents won't move anything :( also they can't be put on the walls - this is difficult isn't it ? :(

[​IMG]

What do you think ?

Thank-you

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can use the JPW's (6ohm) just fine. They will be a little harder to drive by your TV's amp but it will cope with no problems. It's only when speakers are 4 or 2 ohms that you need to be extremely careful about matching to a suitable amp. An alternative would be to only use one pair of speakers (for the rears) and use the televisions internal speakers for the front Left/Right. Your TV should have this option and it will create a phantom centre channel for dialogue. However, it looks like the TV has spring clip terminals for a dedicated center so you could even add this (above or below the TV) and still use the sets own left and right speakers as the fronts. The will improve dialogue even more.

If you decide to use the external fronts, I can see little choice as to where to place them - other than directly to the left and right of the TV, in which case you will need to make sure your speakers are magnetically shielded to prevent colour staining etc.

As for the rears, it really depends on where you will be sitting when watching a movie. As it only seems to be you who is interested and will be enjoying the benefits, I would recommend placing the speakers on stands in the positions denoted by the red markers which I have added in to your diagram (see attachment). Then sit on the sofa in between them or on the chair to the left. If you prefer to sit on the other sofa, then place the rears in the positions denoted by the blue markers.

If you want everyone in the room to enjoy the benefits of the rear speakers, then I would suggest placing the rear right at the right red marker and the rear left at the blue left marker in the diagram (see attachment).

Attached Files: