1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me setup my new DV79.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by sirees01, Jun 26, 2004.

1. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a new DV79 player this morning to complement my Pioneer 434HDE.
    I am connecting via a HDMI lead.
    1st propblem there is no sound at all through the plasma speakers.
    2nd problem picture is poor only displaying 625 how do I change this to a higher resolution.

Please help quickly if possible as I am itching to see it working properly.

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    1. Although, I am not 100% sure, I am 95% sure that there is only video (currently) from the HDMI output, hence no sound.

2. The DV79 does not have an inbuilt scaler so you will only get 625p output, but the picture quality should be stunning, so perhaps there is a problem elsewhere? The panel will upscale to it's native resolution anyway, in this case 1024x768, but it will only 'see' 625p from the Arcam.

3. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sirees you need to get in contact with Pioneer Customer Relations, if you can ever get through!, regarding no audio over HDMI as the media box was released before the audio spec was confirmed for HMDI. You will obviously only get 2ch audio over the HDMI link anyway.
    The picture should be good over HDMI, but there is a problem in that you are only able to select RGB over HDMI and not YUV. I have a 504HDE and a DV-79 and Pioneer are coming out tuesday to do a software upgrade to the Media Box.

4. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, I have taken the DV79 back & swapped it for a Pioneer 868i.
    Top marks to Sevenoaks in Swansea, super customer care :smashin:
    Just rigged up the 868 & it is fantastic sound & picture all top notch.

5. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you take the DV-79 back Simon? Did you just buy it purely for movies or was it a mix of audio and film, if so I think that the DV-79 wins over the 868 for CD quality reproduction.
    Lee

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I would rather have the arcam for picture too.

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I find this quite puzzling. I saw the DV79 demo'd on a Pioneer plasma (sorry, don't know the model) and the picture was STUNNING. At home I have a Sony KV29 CRT and obviously don't get the quality of HDMI + plasma, but I bought the Arcam as CD player too and for me it performs very well at both jobs.

8. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted a dvd player which supports HDMI, it was purely for DVD films.
    I honestly can't explain why the picture was so poor compared to the 868. :confused:
    No sound either, maybe it was a media box gremlin which has been posted here before.

9. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The Arcam player IS compliant with the HDMI spec including 2 channel audio. There is a known issue with one of the more recent firmware versions in Pio displays which they will fix for you on request, as others have noted. To get around this the Arcam player will revert to DVI spec which means no audio :-(

I suspect you may also have had the player on 625 in its set up menu rather than auto - you would then get 525 discs being converted to 625 which does not give a great picture.

You should still get Pioneer to update your media box as it is not correct as it stands. You might then want to try the DV79 again.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

10. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John Dawson.
    Out of curiosity which setting should I have had on Auto in the Video setup menu that you refer to as beingon 625 ?
    What I recall seeing today, there was no option at all to choose 625 :confused:

11. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe the setting John is alluding to is the NTSC/PAL/AUTO setting. If you have it set to PAL and play an NTSC disc the pic is in Colour but is terrible and jerky.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Pioneer came and swapped out my media box for a new one and everything now works fine using it with my DV79 including sound through the plasma and YUV over HDMI. It's your media box that needs to be updated and Pioneer are doing this retrospectively to those that are having problems. I found both Pioneer and Arcam customer care to be excellent.

Regarding pic quality both the Arcam DV79 and the 868 are on par but its the sound that really benefits from the Arcam treatment (CD's, DVDA etc but maybe also DD and DTS from it's digital out ?) The 868 does have an inbuilt scaler though and you can output 720 from it - however I am not sure of the benefits of using it in this mode given the Plasma will scale the picture to its native res either way. The Pioneer however does offer quicker navigation and has a better remote (the Arcam remote is really poor in my opinion and is not much different to the older one).

Overall the Arcam won it for me and now with the plasma connection problem sorted I am a very happy camper.