1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me set up Denon 3802 & Eggs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by soni, Feb 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys, I’m after some help please!

I’ve got 7 x KEF Eggs - 7.1 - FL, CTR, FR, SL, SR, RSL, RSR and the Denon 3802 AV Amp.They are the Mk1's.

7.1 Speaker Set-up

I’ve always had the settings on the amp set-up as follows:-

Power Amp Assignment Multi/Surround Back: Surround Back
    Speaker Size Small/Large: Large for all
    LFE or LFE+Main: Should I have this on LFE or LFE+Main?
    Sub Crossover Frequency: Think its set at 80hz

However, I’ve read somewhere on here today, that within the manual for the MK2’s, KEF have recommended setting the speaker size to small, otherwise it will cause damage, but I havn’t seen this in my Mk1’s manual? Is this correct?

I thought the KEF Eggs are quite capable of reproducing the low frequencies?

I would appreciate if somebody could run through the above settings with me in laymans terms, as I’m not an AV expert.

I’ve read somewhere that the crossover frequency for the sub depends on the frequency of the speakers, apparently it shouldn’t be set to close to the speakers frequency – is this correct? What should it be set at then?

I know I havn’t got the speakers/amp set up correctly, as a classic example: When I was watching Gothika the other evening, I had to have the volume turned right up to hear the speaking, but when something nasty happened in the film and you got a large piece of action music, the sound went through the roof and was driving my Mrs up the bloody wall – I ended up sitting there for the whole evening with my finger on the remote volume control turning it up and down every five minutes – its driving me nuts!

P.S. If the speakeers are set to small, won't this take the sound away from the speakers and send it to the sub - and then it won't sound as good will it?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Set the speakers to small, all bass to sub (LFE), crossover 80hz or if you have the option you may want to set it higher to around 100-120hz. Set the crossover on the subwoofer to MAX or bypass it if the sub gives you that option.

Speaker size relates to the actual bass extension of the speakers not so much their physical size. It's no good setting Kef Eggs to Large as there is no way in the world they will ever produce much output below 80-100hz. This is where you want the subwoofer to take over and handle those frequencies i.e everything below 80-100hz. :)

3. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jase for your reply. The amp has a selection of crossover frequencies, these being 80, 100, and 120. You mention setting the crossover freqency higher than 80 if it has the option - what will be the correct crossover frequency out of those 3 figures - as i think the Eggs can go down to 80? from memory, although it was a long time ago when i read the specs - they are the MK1 eggs - was the frequency range different on these? Should the amp crossover be set dead on the frequency that the eggs go down to? Also, if i set the crossover on the amp to a frequency higher than the lowerst frequency on the eggs, doesn't this take potentially nice sound that the speakers can produce and loose it to the sub?

Also, you mention setting the sub crossover to max - it has a turn knob on the back which only has two figures at each end of the scale, it has 40 hz on one side and 140hz on the other - are you saying to set it to 140 - and what type of connection would i be looking for on the back of the sub to bypass it completely - would this provide even better sound?

Hope you don't mind answering the above questions - i'll leave you alone after that M8!!!! :thumbsup:

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Whilst the specs quote a figure of 80hz for the Eggs it's worth trying the higher crossovers as you can sometimes get a better blend as they roll off and the subwoofer takes over. A lot can depend on your room etc.

The crossover point is not a brick wall filter so you'll have output above and below the chosen frequency. The aim is to get the smoothest response possible and have no holes where your main speakers start to lose output and where your sub takes over. Setting the crossover slightly higher can help with this.

On the sub, set the crossover to 140 if it has no Direct switch/input. Some subs have a switch marked Direct or Bypass which ignores the internal crossover and ideally should be used if the amp is being used to control the crossover frequency. This avoids double filtering the signal. If you have the amp crossover at 80hz and the sub set at the same frequency you can end up with problems with phase, cancellations etc.

5. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jase for your help - i look forward to trying those new settings!