1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me select a speaker system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by naturally, Apr 26, 2002.

1. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I could really appreciate some help. First of all, I am stationed in the middle east so I have a very limited selection.

I am planning to get the Denon 3802.

I am looking for a decent set of speakers to go with that. My short list is:

Mirage AVS
    Bose AM15
    Energy Encore 2

I have listened to all of them on demo's. The Bose sounded good, but it was thier choise of Amp and thier choise of music. I read bad things about them in this forum and elsewhere, so they are not in my favourite list.

Mirage, lower range I thought, but sounded decent.

Now we come to MY personal delimma. The Energy looked very nice, I've read nice reviews on it. I got a demo of the Energy powered by the Denon 1602. They did not sound very nice. This could be due to tuning or the Amp. But, the sound was not that brilliant.

I need your help in recommending a speaker. My room size is 5 meters by 6 meters. I will connect a DVD playes and a CD player plus a GE. Main use will be for DVD, with occasional use of Music.

Is the energy a good choice ?

Was the disappointing performance due to tuning and Amp ?

Should I go for the Energy regardless ?

Any and all responces will be appreciated.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

Whats your budget?? Its worth giving us an idea of how much you want to spend.

You can pick up a set of bookshelf speakers, like the new Kef Q1´s quite cheaply (250 quid a pair) and run them with a decent sub such as a Rel, M&K or Vibe. This will give you better performance than the kit you´ve mentioned on both movies & music.

All in all 3 pairs of Q1 (if you want the EX/ES channel, you can use the Q1 as a centre as well) for around 750 quid and a sub from 500-700 quid, in the case of the Vibe maybe cheaper as they have models at 300 quid.

Its always possible to get stuff shipped out to you, then you´re not restricted on choice.

3. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My budget for the complete set of speakers + sub is 700 pounds.