1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me select a new player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by filmteknik, Jun 26, 2005.

1. filmteknik

filmteknik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba SD-4900 which I chose in large part because it has built-in 5.1 decoding with 6 analog outputs which I need in my application (a screening room). Unfortunately this unit stutters a bit on certain burned disks (these are client-supplied and I don't know if + or - or what). I've never noticed it on a normal store bought (pressed) DVD but sometimes with client materials there are tiny glitches that look like an instance of unintended slow motion. This is a professional situation and I can't have that. Reading problems? Too high a bit rate to handle? I've no idea.

I wish to replace it with one that will play smoothly. I realize there are no guarantees but some machines may have a reputation to handle everything they're fed and others do not.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new player.

So besides smooth, reliable playback:

Required:
    Built-in DD 5.1 decoding (6 analog outputs) DTS a plus but not required
    Progressive scan & component outputs (obviously)

Would also like to have:
    Region Free or Available hack
    PAL/NTSC playback with PAL or NTSC output

These latter 2 points are mostly for my own personal use (I want to try watching PAL disks in PAL for the greater resolution) but the main thing is smooth playback and 5.1 out.

What say you?

2. filmteknik

filmteknik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if maybe what I should do is to just look for players with better video DAC's and then amidst those look for the other features I want.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The cheaper chinese branded players tend to be better at reading a wide range of media. However you want top notch output quality so you have a conflict basically. Maybe there is a top end player that is very good at reading a wide range of media but I personally don't know of one. At best they seem to be average. Would it not be possible to add another dvd player to your current setup as a backup for when the Toshiba can't read a disc?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pioneer DV575 is worth looking at