1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help me Placate my wife - Switch / Scaler / Amp?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr109, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I currently have the following connected to my PE700:

xbox (Component)
    DVD (component)
    Sky (via wireless video sender)

They are living on the shelf with the projector and my better half is not impressed with the mess. I'm fed up of swapping cables and being nagged.

There is then one optical cable coming back to the amp.

What do I want?

A way to run one HDMI cable to the amp for all my sources.

I would also like a couple of HDMI inputs for some future proofing.

I have a budget of £500, can it be done?

I an looking at the new philips amp (dfr9000), but don't think this is going to do the job.

Thanks for any help.

Al

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think there's a scaler with DVI or HDMI for that money, and while you could get a DVI switcher that'd be no good for your component feeds.

Not sure what receivers are around that can transcode component to HDMI apart from the Denon 3805 which is somewhat more than your budget.

You may have to settle for component only, something like a 3803 would be good for that, maybe there are cheaper receivers with the same switching features.

3. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

I thought this might be the case.

How about something that will let me pass through the HDMI and upconvert scart and composite to component. I could then run component and hdmi acroos the ceiling.

Regards

Al

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Again, not that I'm aware of. HDMI is still pretty new (taking DVI/HDCP as the same thing in this context), so again looking at scalers AFAIK only newer models have them, ie. Lumagen DVI and iScan HD+, and these are somehwat more than £500 since they're being sold for HD applications. A Luma DVI is £815 SRP IIRC, not sure about the iScan but it's there or there abouts I think.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Mr109

Way too much required to find a one box solution for sub £500.00.

SKY - I take it you don't watch this all that often on the Projector; Composite video that's been sent over a wireless sender MUST look horrid.

AV Receiver - I'm assuming you already have an AV Receiver of some sort and I guess its not YUV or HDMI compatible.

Cabling - if you want a relatively low cost 'future proofed' solution I'd install:
    1 x HDMI cable (not used for now)
    1 x five Core 75 ohm multicore cable (can be used for YUV + Composite or S-Video).

YUV Switcher - two options:
    If you want something that's Expandable, Switchers Stereo or Digital audio plus YUV and can seamlessly switch between up to Four sources a Zektor HDS4 will be ideal.

If you want something that's less costly and you can make do with Two YUV sources and no Audio switching then the JS-Technology Master Component Controller will be ideal.

HDMI Switching - as and when you require it you can add a relatively Low cost switcher to the system; possibly in a year or so AV Receivers with HDMI switching will be the norm.

Best regards

Joe

6. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling that would be the case.

I am hoping the dfr9000 will do upconversion to component, this would allow me to run the two sets of cables from the one box.

Sky doesn't look great but it's watchable (even footy), would the zektor take the sky signal? I can get an RGB scart to YUV cable yes?

Thanks

Al