1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me pick a 42" EVGA Plasma for HTPC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MortenSchmidt, Jul 29, 2005.

1. MortenSchmidt

MortenSchmidt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 42" EVGA Plasma for use with my HTPC. The PC will do the scaling with Dscaler.

Have been looking closely at the Panasonic 42PA50 for a while, but based on advice from other forums, have sort of decided I need one with DVI. The PA50 only has one component input.

Budget: arround same level as the PA50, <2000 Euros online, I will probably and order it COD from Germany. I'm in Denmark, BTW.

I'm not really wanting 1024x768 resolution anyways, since it presents problems runing at 1:1 pixel ratio with the PC.

Please recomend me a quality Plasma that suits my needs and will give similar picture quality as the Panasonic units. Not interested in screen sizes smaller than 42", and not interested in the off-brand products either.

Regards,
    Morten.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Panasonic 42PWD7??? I would run analogue RGBHV 720p at 50Hz and 60Hz.

3. MortenSchmidt

MortenSchmidt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie, but have been trying hard to suck up as much info the last week or so. I would ve very interested in hearing
    1. Why You would want to run analogue RGBVH rather than DVI ?
    2. Why run 720p - this will mean there has to be scaling both on PC and Plasma.

Many thanks in advance.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It is very specific to the Panasonic running 720p RGBHV. Any other screen I would recommend 1:1, with the Panasonic 720p generally seems to be preferred. This is because it allows you to do the equivalent of oversampling. The plasma has 720 lines of signal that will have picked up a small amount of noise travelling down the cables and being converted to analogue. In the downscale process this noise is effectively lost.

Via DVI you would run 1:1, but unfortunately you are limited to a 60Hz connection. This means that the PC will be frame rate converting your PAL DVDs and PAL TV signals from 50hz to 60hz. I think it's barely noticeable on most material, but something to consider. Besides I doubt you will get an image via DVI to look better than a good analogue signal into the Panny.

5. MortenSchmidt

MortenSchmidt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to hear Your opinion on Analogue vs. DVI. This was my previous understanding as well, but I have asked on avsforums and a local one in Denmark and gotten so far 3 people advicing me to not purchase a Plasma with no DVI.

Think I'll probably take Your word for it, though. I'm having trouble seeing the difference between RGBVH and DVI on my Dell 20" LCD at 1600x1200, and I do know how to make a propper 75 ohm cable.

About this this 60Hz only at 1:1 issue, is this specific to the Panasonics ?

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    1:1 DVI is specific to just about all screens. Pioneer MXE1 allows 50Hz (and is very good DVI). NEC 42XR3 allows 75Hz XGA which is direct 3:3 so no judder. Just about every other screen will suffer.

However, you may have been advised to look for DVI for future HD compatilbilty. Ideally you want a screen which has DVI with HDCP compliance, which accepts 720p and 1080i at 50Hz in order to ensure it will be compatible with HDTV and HD-DVD in the years to come.

Panasonic 8 series will do this, but 7 series (current) doesn't. NEC screens will do this. Pioneer MVE1 (rebadged NEC) will do this. Pioneer MXE1 will not.

7. MortenSchmidt

MortenSchmidt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I see things is that HDTV does not do me much good if I can't record it on my HTPC, because I cannot schedule my life after the TV guide ;)
    Besides, I would want a larger screen in 2-3 years time anyways, But that's another topic.

What about this "Auto Contrast" feature that seems to bother bothers some people, is this only on Panasonics or actually on all panels claiming more than 1500:1 contrast ?

I know I need to go and see for myself and I will, but would be interested to hear Your take on that also.

PS. Is Fujitsu-Siemens P50-2 really crappy ? I can get that 50" for less than the Pioneer and Nec models You mentioned... But naturally I'm very reluctant, sounds too good to be any good...