1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me out - zillions of questions!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sun, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hello :)

I have wasted many an hour of work time reading this forum this week and theres stacks of info but im still a little confused.

Basically I have decided to set myself up with a "decent" home cinema setup (read as < £350 max on speakers). It's the speakers side of things I am having difficulty with though, there is just soooo many options.

I currently have a pair of Morduant Short MS20i bookshelf speakers either side of me TV and I have always thought they provided excellent audio from my existing hifi setup. Obviously I want too increase this to a total of 5 speakers and eventually a sub.

I see my options as this;

* Keep MS20i speakers either use them as front/rears and buy centre and front/rears (is it advisable to use them as rears? theyre quite big) . circa £?

* Ditch them and buy something like The Mordaunt Short Premier Pack or the Mission Cinema M70. circa £300

* Buy a few separate speakers, i see i could get some Mission M73's for fronts, Mission M7i's, Mission M7c2 for centre. circa £240

Questions;
    1)Do setups like option 2 surpass "real" hi-fi speakers, my cd audio listening is more important than the potential cinema experience.

2)If I keep my Ms20i for fronts do I need to buy a centre speaker from the Ms20 (might be a bit hard to find, theyre from year 2000)range for "tonal balance" or will any MS centre speaker do?

3)Can I use them as rears in this firstplace?

4)Is fitting a sub into this price bakcet worthwhile? I just need enough bass to notice it and feel it and be able to go, "feel that bass? thats my sub that is" I dont need my foundations to rock.

Any recommendations, suggestions, mind control etc etc will be most appreciated because I think my head is going to explode, I cannot surf the net and read hifi magazines anymore!! Stop the pain, pleeeeeeeeeeease! :rolleyes:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Oi!! No!! If you can't keep reading about AV, then you aren't taking this business seriously enough and then we refuse to help you! ;) :D

Seriously tho', it IS very daunting trying to find somewhere to start. Firstly: stereo listening is obviously important to you, so a budget AV amp is likely to disappoint on it's own. Rather combione one with your existing stereo amp (which one do you have?) for best of CD's and DVD's. Run the fronts from the stereo amp and the centre/rears from the new av amp.

secondly, those MS speakers are crackers, sounding lovely with all kinds on music IMO and should work well as fronts or rears with films. Bit wasted at the rear actually, but as it is important to get a unifrom front soundstage, a matching centre will be hard to find. Tons of Fun (a member here) works for MS and may be able to recommend a centre?

Alternatively the Mission setup you mention with M73's will sound great with both (I have the same one) and will be similar to the 20is with tunes. Those smaller sub/sat setups are great for films, but weak with music IMO. Don't compromise.

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the reply m8 :) yes it bizarre, its a pain you enjoy this A/V lark isn't it! Although the other half would disagree I feel, it's all pain as far as she sees it... tsk women.

Anyway, I should have said previously about my amp, my future speakers will be running from a Marantz SR5300 which seemed to be the best compromise when wanting good audio but with Home Cinema features, no complaints there, so that will negate the need for 2 amps.

Right well I am settled on not getting one of these all in 1 systems at least, i feel a weight has been lifted already!

Do you have that exact same Mission setup? or just the M73s how do you find it for films and is there a need for a sub?

With regard to the centre, am i right in thinking that it will need to be from the same series MS20 series then rather than one of the new MS centre speakers?

Cheers

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Main advice would be to keep your front sounstage tonally matched. This is so that voices, for example don't sound weird when they go from left channel to centre channel.

Richer Sounds do MS speakers. A set of floor standers for the fronts would reduce the need for a sub at this stage. You could get 2 floorstanders and a centre for under £300.

Chris

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Same M73 fronts which I think are great for music and films. Plenty of bass in my 6m x 4m lounge AND I have a wife cut from the same "Will you turn it down now!" cloth as your's will likely be. :D I'd love a sub, but also have no space just now (the boss's new sofas are HUGE :( ). Still I certainly don't miss any low-end power - Matrix Reloaded has a few scenes eg. rescue ship and when the building blows and the Missions shake the room just fine! :smashin: I have an older set of Mission 700 bookshelf speakers I stuck in front just for fun and these give up the bass-ghost long before the M73's do.

I don't use the M7C2 centre to be honest, I prefer the (almost) exact tonal match of a Mission M72 bookshelf - identical driver setup, just less volume than the M73 and it fits nicely in my rack too. I did notice a BIG improvement moving from M7C1 to M7C2, then another much smaller improvement again changing to M72. You could also use the extra M72 in a 6.1 setup with your (lovely) Marantz 5300 - just let the wife know now you actually want three rears on her wall. :laugh:

I use Wharfedale Loudpanels as rears which are frankly poor (too dull and closed-in sounding), but our rear wall is out-of-bounds.

I don't know any of the MS centres I'm afraid, but you could likely get away with one if it had a similar tweeter to the M20i ie. get a matching soft tweeter and not a metal one or vice-versa.

6. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I notice boltoa is selling some KEF Cresta 3s and a Cresta Centre in the Classifieds, I haven't heard any sadly in comparison to my MS20is i don't suppose anyone hear can give me any advice as to their quality?

Cheers

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I know 'em well (previous housemate had the full Kef set) and they are very nice too. Lots of bass which can sound a little slow IMO, but very good mid-range. Beware of placement - the Cresta 3's are rear ported and so need to be about 40-50 cm from the wall/corners to avoid bass boom. The centre matched well with the fronts and you won't lack any power - they all go LOUD without any trouble.

8. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh yes, that sounds like my girlfriend, "whats wrong with the TV speakers?" turn it up to small child whispering volume and you get "its hurting my ears, turn it down!"
    As for wall mounting - hohoho :/

I am enquiring about the KEFs with boalto as that may be a slightly cheaper way through this and from what you say nobber22 they are equal in quality (?) compared to the missions.

I have also PM'd Tons Of Fun about a Centre just incase.

However if the KEFS have gone I think i will be seeking out some mission M73s to demo in the next week! Yay!

Thanks Chris Lamle and Nobber22 - you have been a gent :)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Trouble is they don't like it when the tables are turned and you ask them "What's wrong with the dress / shoes / handbag / car that you've already got"

10. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not just say to the 'other half' its my house too! i'll do what i want, say you wont take her on holiday with ya.