1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me out with getting the right set up for Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Sami, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I have searched the forums for this, but couldn't easily find an answer - basically, I would like some advice..

I want to get broadband so that can use Xbox Live.

Basically the broadband will mainly be used for my PSP and Xbox but I will also occasionally use it for the odd download using the wireless option on my work's laptop as well as general browsing!

I will of course therefore need to get wireless broadband. Can somsone recommend me some of the best broadband deals that are out there? I do have a BT landline.. don't really want to be paying more than £20/month - I don't mind splashing out on a seperate wireless router if need be..

I can't install anything on my laptop as it is locked by work, so whichever broadband I get, I need to have one which won't involve me installing anything onto my laptop! I don' have a home PC - just my work lap top!

Please, I am a newbie to all this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
    Sami

2. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Just to add to this, I've seen the deal that Tiscali are offering which looks quite good: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/2mbunlimited.html?code=ZZ-NL-11MR

Would this suit my needs?

Obviously I would have to buy a seperate Wireless router, I take it the Net Gear or Belkin ones would be a good idea - should I get one with a built in modem as well? WOuld that work with this? Do i need to buy an adapter for the Xbox so that it can use a wireless signal, or will that come with the router that I buy?

Cheers
    Sami

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    You'll need a broadband router/modem which can be had from places like Broadbandbuyer and then for your xbox you will need a wireless bridge and you'll also need some sort of wireless device in your laptop or you could run a cable from the laptop to the router(if suitable).

The over from tiscali is pretty standard, people like bt and wanadoo have the same sppeds available but i'm not sure on prices, however if you go with bt you broadband bill will just be added to your current bill which can make paying easier

4. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    The Laptop I have already has the wireless device in it as I have used it before.

God! I would have thought the router would have come with a bridge or whatever so that you could use the damned thing! Didn't realise I'd be having to spend another £40 odd on top of the £60 odd for the router!

Is that Router you highlighted a good one to get?

And I take it that once I have that, I won't need the modem that the Broadband supplier has supplied?

5. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Also, am I going to have to install stuff on a PC to use the wireless router, or is it just a matter of plug 'n' play? I can't install software on my laptop you see and I don't have a home PC!

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Not sure if your need to install any software, but you should be able to setup the router without software. You normally just need to login to the routers ip address to set it up

The router i highlighted was just the cheapest i saw at a glance, no idea if its any good im afraid

But i forgot to mention before that i wouldn't recommend tiscali as i have a friend who users them and he gets terrible lag sometimes

7. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Ah OK, thanks for warning me!

hmm - I'll have a look into which router is a good one to get - I know that amazon were douing a Net Gear one for £64.99 I hear they are meant to be a safe make to go for?

So was I right in saying that I woukldn;' tneed the modem supplied by whichever Broadband provider if I bought a wireless router with built in ASDL modem?

Is there anything else I need to know/worry about?

8. Kahuna

Kahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the netgear DG834GT. Set up is via web browser on my Mac, but not sure about PC. Works with Xbox and is an all in one box solution.

As for ISPs, I am with Zen and while not the cheapest, they are very reliable to date. I have hosted games on Live with 8 people and no lag on a 1meg connection. You're looking at 30 quid for 1 mg, but I think 25 for a half meg connection.

9. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    £30 is a bit too pricey really.. anyone ever heard of Bulldog before? Any insights into them? They offer 2 meg downstream, 256k upstream (what does this mean?) braodband with unlimited use for £19.50/month

10. Kahuna

Kahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  11. General Zod

General Zod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Not sure about broadband deals but for equipment, I use the Linksys Wireless G broadband router (2.4Ghz, 54Mbps) - model WRT54G complimented by a Linksys Wireless G Game Adapter (model WGA54G).

It all works superbly and was a cinch to set up (basically plug & play using Windows XP). Very concise and clear instructions and since Linksys are a Cisco company, the quality of the kit is very good.

The game adapter plugs via ethernet cable into the back of the Xbox or PS2 and is recognised right away. Wireless online gaming is bliss and allows me the freedom of the house...perfect for getting away from the wife :)

12. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Personally I use force9 I know some people dont like them but ive never had a probelm with it always very fast. £14.99 for a 2mb unlimited download connection I dont think it too bad.

PS. IVe been using the Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps Wireless Router with the WG111T USB adapter and I have never had any problems with it. Got it from PCWorld for £79 so couldnt really moan..I know you not wanting Wireless but I never had anything less than 87% signal strength and ALWAYS connect at 108mbs. The gaming adapter works perfectly too.

13. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.plus.net is very reasonable for broadband, I have the 21.99/month which is better for gaming as it is a better sharing ratio. See HERE
    Bulldog have quite a few unhappy customers, I think they were on Watchdog.
    Downstream is download speed, upstream is upload speed.
    Basically all normal broadbands are 2Mb down and 256k up, more than 256 would be better for hosting games but most people don't have any problems unless you get loads of yanks joining in.

14. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yeah plusnet and force9 are the same. Im on the £21.99 deal too, better contention ratio as you say. But just thought I would let Sami know that I never had a problem gaming with the £14.99 package.

I upgraded because if you use P2P software such as limewire the download speed are naff 10k sec tops on the £14.99, but if you not need it much as you describe then I dont think you would have a problem.

15. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    The problem with Bulldog is that I believe you have to sighn up for their phone line as well and you can't use your existing BT line. Also they have poor customer service and a lot of people who use their service have had problems. Personally I reccommend you go with Pipex as they are overall the best value cost, stability and customer service wise. Nildram and Eclipse are also very good. I'm with Zen too and they are rated the best ISP consistantly but are expensive. For more information on ADSL services/providers visit ADSL Guide.

As far as routers and bridges go the ones Poony mentioned are allright but IMHO not the best and not ones I would reccommend. Better to go with the Netgear DG834G wireless router and the Netgear WGE111 wireless gaming adapter. I use both of them and they are very user friendly, easy to set up and work great. D-Link and Linksys make good products but overall Netgear are the best.

16. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Thankyou so much to everyone that has responded! Really helping! :)

So, would I be right in thinking that this was a good one to get/good buy (equiptment wise) http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-3154587-7922852

Do I not need an ethernet Game adapter as opposed to a USB one? Which one would best suit this router? I assume I need one that is 108MBPS compatible?

I'll have a look at all your broadband recommendations and sterr clear of Bulldog!

Cheers and hope to be challenging you all on Xbox Live soon! ;)

Sami

17. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 834GT is an excellent choice - you can get the WGE111 for your xbox, I don't think it will make much difference to your live speed.

18. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Agree there - have the previous models 824 & WE101 - always had a good stable Live connection.

Have moved the brick now though so using a wired connection! Not noticed any difference so the wireless must have been working well!

19. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Excellent, so all I need now is Broadband! ;)

20. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Can someone please explain this ratio stuff that they are talking about when describing the broadband product to you - I take it a 30:1 ration is better than a 50:1?

21. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have both the DG834G V2 and the WGE111 they both work perfectly with xbox live, check out Broadband Buyer
    The DG834G V2 is also a modem so you can ditch your current one/one that comes free from the ISP (you could sell it on ebay like I did)

I did have to update the firmware though recently because the connection kept dropping, I use Pipex broadband it costs £23 for a 1mb unlimited connection, I would recommend you do your homework on broadband, some of the more well known ISP's can suffer from slower download rates (just because they say its 1mb dont mean that you always get 1mb).

22. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Well I went for the £21.99 option on plus net. Have chosen the monthly contract rather then the yearly one just in case I'm not satisfied....

Once I have confirmation from them that my line is OK etc - I will be purchasing the Net Gear Wireless DG834GT and the WGE111 game adapter.

Thanks loads for the help! Hopefully I will be able to join in some online gaming very soon! :)

23. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

Hey Sami

I assume you are talking about "Contention" here? If so then then yes, 30:1 is better than 50:1.

Very simple example....

say you have a 1meg line then this means that upto 30 people could be fighting you for bandwidth, so less is more! 30 people to 1 meg line or 50 people to 1meg line.

The 1 meg line they specify to you means its a MAXIMUM of 1meg, you may well get less if other users are using that same bandwidth.

24. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Nice one, I thought as much! :smashin:

25. Kahuna

Kahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you need one, I've got a free 2 month trial for live. Can only be used when opening a new account so if you want it, PM me your address and I'll post it to you.

26. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Cheers for the offer, much appreciated, however I already haveone of these that came with my copy of Pro Evo 5.

Thanks anyway! :smashin:

27. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84