Please help me match and choose 5.1 speakers for denon avr-x550bt AVR!!! Excited for Surrond sound

Grunchymunchy

Novice Member
Hey peeps!

I told my neighbor I am building a new surrond sound system and he said he has a spare AVR that I could have for free, it turns out its a Denon AVR X550BT, and not too shabby.

Ideally I would like some great speakes I could get off ebay at a great price for these. They are 130w p channel. I think the idea is I am going to have a Kef LS50W next the fronts for my stereo needs. Alternatively, I could just get some LS50s and run them straight into this AVR, but from what I understand unless its a very high end AVR, not to bother hooking up something like the LS50s to an AVR like the one in question.

Is there something anyone could recommend, like some great perhaps slightly older models of speakers that one might be able to get off Ebay for a great price? New 5.1 sets are definitely being considered and I might pull the trigger on them. I would like to spend 300 - 600. Wondering if its smarter to just get something older off Ebay, as that would be the best value for money.

Also just on a side note what do peeps think of

Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System​

They look ingriguing.

gibbsy

I would not bother with LS50s for the Denon 550. It's an entry level AV amp and those KEFs need a lot of high quality power to get the best out of them. If you want new speakers have a look at what Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson have on offer. Alternatively look at the classifieds and build your speakers bit by bit when funds allow. No doubt those that are into finding bargains on the interweb will give you some pointers.

Jester1066

Hi.

Did you have a budget in mind? It'll help us recommend speakers.

I'll also add, I'd recommend buying any speaker packages without the matching subs. Instead there is better value to be had from buying one from a dedicated subwoofer manufacturer, like SVS, Rel, BK etc.

Obviously (as with anything in this game), it depends how deep your pockets are etc. But as @gibbsy says, if you like bargain hunting, you can put together a great budget system based around that AVR. 🙂

Additionally, a picture/floorplan of the room will help members advise on speakers etc.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey peeps!

I told my neighbor I am building a new surrond sound system and he said he has a spare AVR that I could have for free, it turns out its a Denon AVR X550BT, and not too shabby.

Ideally I would like some great speakes I could get off ebay at a great price for these. They are 130w p channel. I think the idea is I am going to have a Kef LS50W next the fronts for my stereo needs. Alternatively, I could just get some LS50s and run them straight into this AVR, but from what I understand unless its a very high end AVR, not to bother hooking up something like the LS50s to an AVR like the one in question.

Is there something anyone could recommend, like some great perhaps slightly older models of speakers that one might be able to get off Ebay for a great price? New 5.1 sets are definitely being considered and I might pull the trigger on them. I would like to spend 300 - 600. Wondering if its smarter to just get something older off Ebay, as that would be the best value for money.

Also just on a side note what do peeps think of

Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System​

They look ingriguing.

That receiver is Denons cheapest/lowest model sold in UK. It was priced around 220-250£ and the power output is 70w for 2channels. You are looking the wrong spec. You can start with it, but it´s not really anything special.

Logitech 5.1 stuff are usually for computer/gaming. I wouldn`t touch on them.

I noticed your other thread, you seem to want LS50, but have you heard them cause you already have very good Elac speakers there which can be better than LS50W even.

For a new 5.1 setup you need closer to 750-800£ to get anything decent. Well Focal Sib goes for 699£ if satellite/lifestyle speakers are more required.

Grunchymunchy

Novice Member
Hi.

Did you have a budget in mind? It'll help us recommend speakers.

I'll also add, I'd recommend buying any speaker packages without the matching subs. Instead there is better value to be had from buying one from a dedicated subwoofer manufacturer, like SVS, Rel, BK etc.

Obviously (as with anything in this game), it depends how deep your pockets are etc. But as @gibbsy says, if you like bargain hunting, you can put together a great budget system based around that AVR. 🙂

Additionally, a picture/floorplan of the room will help members advise on speakers etc.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Ah nice will keep that in mind! Didn't know that about the subs. Can spend up to £600.
That receiver is Denons cheapest/lowest model sold in UK. It was priced around 220-250£ and the power output is 70w for 2channels. You are looking the wrong spec. You can start with it, but it´s not really anything special.

Logitech 5.1 stuff are usually for computer/gaming. I wouldn`t touch on them.

I noticed your other thread, you seem to want LS50, but have you heard them cause you already have very good Elac speakers there which can be better than LS50W even.

For a new 5.1 setup you need closer to 750-800£ to get anything decent. Well Focal Sib goes for 699£ if satellite/lifestyle speakers are more required.

Ah, its seems you are right. I guess I got confused due to Ebay listings such as this where its goes for £400 and claims 130 w per channel.

Will the Focal 5.1 speakers you linked to work well with my Denon AVR? Yeah, I do like my Elac ARB-51 a lot. But I think the issue is I need to really spend a lot more for a high end DAC. And I have listened to Kef LS50W, I had em for a bit.

Its a toss up between the two, they are very different. I think ultimately I do prefer the LS50w. For certain types of music they are really incredible.

I am ready to spend up to exatly the amount those speakers cost, which is 600. If they will play nice with my cheap Denon AVR, I can do that. Preferably would like to not buy another AVR if I dont need to.

I was initially planning a completely different setup, but

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Ah nice will keep that in mind! Didn't know that about the subs. Can spend up to £600.

Ah, its seems you are right. I guess I got confused due to Ebay listings such as this where its goes for £400 and claims 130 w per channel.

Will the Focal 5.1 speakers you linked to work well with my Denon AVR? Yeah, I do like my Elac ARB-51 a lot. But I think the issue is I need to really spend a lot more for a high end DAC. And I have listened to Kef LS50W, I had em for a bit.

Its a toss up between the two, they are very different. I think ultimately I do prefer the LS50w. For certain types of music they are really incredible.

I am ready to spend up to exatly the amount those speakers cost, which is 600. If they will play nice with my cheap Denon AVR, I can do that. Preferably would like to not buy another AVR if I dont need to.

I was initially planning a completely different setup, but

The Focals should work ok at least to some degree with that Denon. I don´t know your listening habits. Some people here listen moderate level and others more close to ear bleeding levels. The Focal system has great feedback the speakers should be good, but the package subwoofer is bit letdown as usual. It looks quite good and while compact cabinets they have 5" drivers and ports so as has been said the speakers can take much better woofer and in your case better amplification in future. I understand that when you get one free it`s hard to say no.. You can of course buy something like Wharfedale DX-2 and call it day, but they aren´t as good.

I would rather spend little more.

If you can find some decent sub then Jamos would likely fit budget too. Of course it´s more of risk with the reliability due to cheap amps, but at least you have warranty.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom