Quantcast

Please help me make a choice

P

Pete872

Guest
Right, I have recently moved house and the new house has a converted integral garage. I had planned to have a projector in this room but due to the height of the ceiling and other issues that is not very practical.

So, I have now decided on a DLP tv. Having looked in currys,comet (for ideas) and doing a fair bit of reading on this site over the last couple weeks I am tempted by the following 3:

Samung SP50L7HX
LG 52SZ8R
Toshiba 46WM48

I am looking to spend no more than £1800.

The tv will be paired with sky+,dvd player and a sony surround sound (if needed) i'm not into games consoles so xbox ect are'nt concerns.

To be honest my favourite out of the 3 is the Samsung not only as it's had good reviews on this site but I like the funky look of it too, the only thing is my gf likes the look of the LG better!

So can any of you guys help me out with my short list and find a winner? Also any other recommendations that you may have as regards to other tv's i'm all ears :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Pete.
 

Razor

Distinguished Member
Go for the samsung mate, its the best out of the 3. Stay clear of the LG.
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Samsung is the best you chose - why not take a gander at the fancy Sagem offerings?
 

the_pauley

Banned
Samsungs or Sagems.

Check the 45" Sagem carefully though - the "frosty" screen issue bothers some. Having said that a new 45" Sagem is due soon without "frosting".

Also not an issue with the 56" Sagem, which given the space you describe you could easily accommodate.

Approach the Toshiba with extreme caution. Do a search on these forums - there are blurring and smearing issues with the two current Toshibas. And to echo Razor - avoid the LG. :thumbsdow
 

Lion

Active Member
pete872,
I'm confused about the LG model that you quote, is it the australian set ?
if so it's getting good things said about it from happy new owners on the australian forums.
I'm not sure how razor and the pauley have managed to see it in action to give an opinion to stay clear of it though ?
been down under recently boys ?

;)
 

the_pauley

Banned
Lion said:
...been down under recently boys ?
My sex life is none of your business Lion! :D

Didn't realize it was an Aussie model - just aware of the problems users here have been experiencing with the UK model. Powering off seems to be a recurring fault. Wasn't too impressed with the LG I saw when looking for my screen. Wasn't bad but not in the same league as the others.

However if the original poster is in Oz, I'd be reluctant to recommend any sets based on experience of UK models.
 
O

oope

Guest
Lion said:
pete872,
I'm confused about the LG model that you quote, is it the australian set ?
if so it's getting good things said about it from happy new owners on the australian forums.
I'm not sure how razor and the pauley have managed to see it in action to give an opinion to stay clear of it though ?
been down under recently boys ?

;)
I'm new owner of 52" LG model RZ-52SZ80DB, and a happy one too. It's in LG's 'nordic' product line (I'm from Finland). PQ of the set is simply stunning.
LG had some lightbulb problems with older 44" models, all fixed in warranty. Maybe that's why some advice against it.
 
P

Pete872

Guest
Hi guy's Nope i'm in Lincoln which too some may seem closer to OZ than them but rest assured it's still a fair old bike ride! :D

This LG model number was taken from a set in the local Curry's. Where we'd gone to view different models.

Pete.
 

Lion

Active Member
Pete872 said:
Hi guy's Nope i'm in Lincoln which too some may seem closer to OZ than them but rest assured it's still a fair old bike ride! :D

This LG model number was taken from a set in the local Curry's. Where we'd gone to view different models.

Pete.
:eek:

I did a google search and it only threw up oz sites for that model.
I'll have to rush off down to my local currys in Derby now to have a gander,
being an LG dlp fan and all... :blush:
 

Razor

Distinguished Member
the_pauley said:
My sex life is none of your business Lion! :D

Didn't realize it was an Aussie model - just aware of the problems users here have been experiencing with the UK model. Powering off seems to be a recurring fault. Wasn't too impressed with the LG I saw when looking for my screen. Wasn't bad but not in the same league as the others.

However if the original poster is in Oz, I'd be reluctant to recommend any sets based on experience of UK models.

Ditto. Sorry I thought it was the UK version. :oops:
 

nm10721

Banned
I saw both the

LG 52SZ8R = £2199 IN CURRYS
SAMSUNG SP50L7HXX = £2499 IN CURRYS

today, both running high def and the LG looked better PQ wise. The Samsung has a more stylish look with the light up buttons on the front, but the LG wins it for me because

-its cheaper
-bigger screen
-more screen, less edging
 

sirp

Active Member
its not cheaper if you buy it elsewhere though, you can get the sammy for circa 1850 i think
 

nm10721

Banned
its not cheaper if you buy it elsewhere though, you can get the sammy for circa 1850 i think
yeh realise that now, its actually £1824.04 from Curry's online with the stand, might just swing it for me, though the LG looks nice, dammit, decisions, decisions!
 

nm10721

Banned
this is really annoying me, cant decide on the Lg or Samsung, Lg looks better PQ wise , but its more expensive, damn!
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom