Please help me integrate the Yamaha WXC-50 into my set up

AudioJosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Any help appreciated here (I'm still learning the ins and outs of Hi-Fi). This is my set up - Cambridge CXA80 and a Marantz CD6005.

I'd like to run the Marantz through the Yamaha WXC-50 pre-amp as I like the tight volume control, especially at low volumes late at night. I want bypass the Yamaha's DAC and use the Marantz's if at all possible. I figure I connect the Marantz to the WXC-50 using an RCA cable (audio out to aux in), but then do I connect the WXC-50 to the Cambridge CXA80 with another RCA cable (pre-out) or a coaxial/toslink cable (optical out)? I assume using a digital cable would bypass the Yamaha DAC but then I'm not sure if the Cambridge or Marantz would be doing the decoding, and using an RCA chain I'm not sure if the decoding would be done by the Yamaha or the Marantz?

Thanks.

Ok... rather a confusing post there sir.

There is nothing to be gained at all from using the WXC between your cd player and the Cambridge amp.

Especially not by adding another preamp to the one already in the CXA.

At the very best, there will be at least a slight loss in clarity.

The best way to connect your player is to the amp directly.

Either using a digital cable (thereby using the Dac in the CXA) or using the analogue outputs from the Marantz.

I’d try both and see if you can detect a difference and then a preference.

( you could connect the CD player to the Yamaha with an optical cable, then connect the WXC to the CXA with analogue cables, but using the WXC in non preamp mode. But that is convoluted and is exceedingly unlikely to be useful. No harm in trying though).

ps, however you end up using the WXC, make sure all of the eco modes are turned off and all of the ‘enhancements’.

Thanks for the reply Paul,

I can see now that using the WXC as a pre-amp with the type of set up I have is not beneficial. I liked the idea of having tighter control over the volume using the WXC remote in pre-amp mode but clearly it's not worth the trade off, adding a pre-amp to another pre-amp. Looks like I'll be mainly using the WXC as a streamer in player mode then.

Thanks for the tips about how to run the Marantz CD player through the amp. I'll give those a go. I have it running directly into the amp with RCA cables at the moment. Sounds lovely!

Yup, those eco modes and enhancements are naff, have killed those dead for sure. A little surprised they were there as I thought Yamaha were known for their neutral sound (well the A-S501 and CD-S300 I owned were for sure!).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Paul,

I can see now that using the WXC as a pre-amp with the type of set up I have is not beneficial. I liked the idea of having tighter control over the volume using the WXC remote in pre-amp mode but clearly it's not worth the trade off, adding a pre-amp to another pre-amp. Looks like I'll be mainly using the WXC as a streamer in player mode then.

Thanks for the tips about how to run the Marantz CD player through the amp. I'll give those a go. I have it running directly into the amp with RCA cables at the moment. Sounds lovely!

Yup, those eco modes and enhancements are naff, have killed those dead for sure. A little surprised they were there as I thought Yamaha were known for their neutral sound (well the A-S501 and CD-S300 I owned were for sure!).

You‘re most welcome Josh.

I’d be interested to hear if you find a difference between the Marantz player and the dac in the CXA. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom