Please help me in selecting a Sub woofer for marantz SR6007 & Quad 11L

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by vikramm, Aug 22, 2013.

1. vikramm

vikramm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help in choosing a sub woofer for my home theatre. Configuration requirements-
    Receiver- Marantz SR6007
    Fronts- Quad 11L
    Centre- Quad
    Rear- Wharfedales
    TV- Panasonic 42 in
    Room Size- 12 (TV side) x 18 x 10 feet

Usage- Movies (60%), Music (30%), normal TV viewing (10%)

I have been going through various AV forums and I my mind is almost made up in favor of SVS's subs.

The unfortunate bit is that auditioning these is not possible.

I am not too much of an audiophile, but I like the idea that whenever I listen to music or watch a movie, I should be have equipments that should be able to deliver quality stuff within my budget :).

Here are my queries-
    1. Would be great if you could help me identify what sub woofer in the SVS stable would work best with my existing setup at a price range of USD 650 and below. I have the following options available:
    - PB1000
    - SB1000
    - SB12-NSD
    - PB12-NSD (tad above the budget)

Purely on the basis of specs and some of user reviews that I have read, it seems that PB1000 is more suited to movie viewing (which is my main use) than SB1000, but frankly I don't have a clue.

2. Another point on which I need advice is that apparantly Quad 11Ls are fast speakers, so the sub I choose should not be out of sync with my current setup or show a perceptible lag while watching bass heavy movie scenes.

3. Lastly, would I be really missing something if I choose a sub that is rated 23 Hz as compared to another one rated 18 Hz? Is that 5 Hz gap really perceptible?

Thanks a lot for all the help !!!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,871
    There's no requirement to ensure a sub matches either your receiver or your speakers, just buy the best sub you can afford. the phase and syncronisation is dealt with by the receiver and via its distance settings. The receiver's auto calibration will judge the appropriate distances, phase and synchronisation in relation to bass management.

The speed of sound is fixed and doesn't vary depending upon what is outputting it. sound travels from one make or brand of speakers at the same speed it would from any other make or brand.

You'd probably not be able to hear much bass below 20Hz, but you could potentially feel it. The lower the sub is rated, the better, but only if the sub has plenty of power at its disposal to shake your room and annoy your neighbours with.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. vikramm

vikramm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dante01, thanks for the reply. Just one question, would you recommend SVS PB1000 or SVS SB12-NSD...? In other words, given my room size, would PB1000 be sufficient ? Because I am liking that fact that at cheaper price point, I am able to get a below 20 Hz performing sub.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,871
    SVS state the following:

You will get better bass from the PB12-NSD, but the differences will be marginal.

I'd suggest you opt with the 12" driver and higher power output of the PB12-NSD if your room is of moderate to large proportions. I see no reason to opt for the PB12-NSD simply because of your particular room's dimensions.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. vikramm

vikramm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dante01, thanks. That clarifies my doubts.