Question Please help me identify this mark on my Sony TV screen..

ciderspace

Hi

I have this mark on my Sony 43XE7003 4K hdr TV (2017, 5 year warranty with John Lewis) and Im trying to work out what it is.

As requested by JL technical support I took a pic of the mark with the built in “test/demo” image displayed. Theyve identified it as a thunderbug that’s got in via the vents and died. It is therefore not classed as a fault and that’s their final word. They even managed to and I quote, “unpixelate” the image to clearly show it was a bug. Now I know one can’t “unpixelate” anything but I held back from blowing a fuse as I wanted to get a second opinion. As it happens the TV tuner signal has also failed so they are sending an engineer to look at it on Tuesday - obviously I’ll mention the “bug” again to SE what he thinks.

Anyways, I asked a Photographic expert (Lightroom/Photoshop etc) friend of mine to see if he could do anything and with his trickery, he managed to send me the third image attached.

So my question to you good folk is, does this look like a Thunder Bug? If it is, I’ll just have to accept and hope it eventually crumbles and falls away (unless there is anything one can do?) but I’m not convinced it is...

Anyone able to offer any guidance as to what it might be? Thankfully it’s not that noticeable but I know it’s there.... I bought the TV second hand (great price) and only noticed the mark when I returned home.

Also, regards the tuner - are they likely to be able to replace the tuner?

Thanks I advance.

Attachments

neilball

Looks like a thunder bug from your last photo. At least it’s only one! All of my TVs have several (and in one case probably more than 30!). I’ve maybe 10 in my 75” 9405 but thankfully they are not visible from my seating position.

I sometime get them in my laptop screens and here I’ve tried tapping the edge of the screen and they sometime dislodge and fall to the base out of sight. However I’m not prepared to do this with my TVs in class I cause damage.

ciderspace

Ok, now this is weird - the TV signal has returned tonight. Havent changed a thing - it’s just started working again.

Technology eh!

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
It definitely looks like a thunderbug ,and it's something that isn't covered under warranty, oleds are the only tv tech that I know doesn't get these as they are sealed, you could try a sucker to gently pull the screen away to see if you can make it drop to the bottom, if not it takes ages for it to decay and fade away

ciderspace

Thanks furryhobnob.

Ok, 2 out of 2 views is enough for me.

Any thoughts on the tuner suddenly coming back to life? Would indicate an intermittent problem so it’s just whether I can persuade the engineer to replace it anyway....

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Any thoughts on the tuner suddenly coming back to life? Would indicate an intermittent problem so it’s just whether I can persuade the engineer to replace it anyway....
Tuners rarely fail on TV's.
What were the symptoms?
It's more likely to be a signal issue.

ciderspace

Symptoms - er, no signal ;)
I daisy chain through a YouView box (so wall to Youview and then to TV) and the Youview was receiving fine. So I unplugged the direct feed and plugged into the TV - no signa. I did a digital retune and it sped through real quick, finding nothing. Been like it for a couple of days. Then all of a sudden starts working again, no tuning required.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Symptoms - er, no signal ;)
I daisy chain through a YouView box (so wall to Youview and then to TV) and the Youview was receiving fine. So I unplugged the direct feed and plugged into the TV - no signa. I did a digital retune and it sped through real quick, finding nothing. Been like it for a couple of days. Then all of a sudden starts working again, no tuning required.
There's something odd there. If you had done a retune and no signals were found that should wipe/clear the programme table, then a couple of days later all is okay without you retuning again. Doesn't make any sense.

ciderspace

No it doesn't, does it... Am hoping the John Lewis Tech can shed some light on this... Am questioning myself now that Ive done something but I really cant think what.... Ill update tomorrow.

ciderspace

Engineer came today.

He did a signal test on the daisy chained aerial lead and commented how strong it was!
Couldn't offer much in the way of explanation for the lack of signal on the TV unfortunately (other than blamed it on modern tech, power off/on etc) but gave me his card and said that if it happened again in the next few days/week, to call him direct rather than go back via JL.

I hope it does happen again cos this kinda thing really irritates me, damn intermittent faults! Grrr!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom