Question Please help me identify my new home theater setup

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CutRateGamer, Jun 20, 2017.

1. CutRateGamer

CutRateGamer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am a home theater neophyte. I have set up my own simple surround sound theater once, many years ago, but it didn't last as the cables were always in the way.

I am considering buying a home that already has home theater wiring run behind the walls. The home is vacant, so I can see the cables, but not the hardware that would have been hooked up to it.

Would you help me identify what I am looking at in these pictures. Also, should the rear speaker wire be covered like it is in the pics? I don't see any exposed metal to attack a speaker to. Can you tell if this wiring has ever even been used? I see see what looks like a PC video cable in one of the cable bundles. Is that for a projector?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    With you being in the US you may want to pose your question over on AVSForums - more chance of folk recognising the wiring.

I suspect a re-wire may be in order if your looking to distribute HD or UHD video.

Joe

3. CutRateGamer

CutRateGamer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Joe. I am not sure I will need to "distribute" HD/UHD. I am guessing you mean that the PC video input cable will probably not allow for HD.

I am looking at the house again today and will see if I can get some more pics of the cables with the tape taken off so we can see exactly what cables are available.