1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help me get the best out of my sweetspot

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeKay1976, Mar 8, 2005.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Hi a couple of points....

i have a phillips 37inch plasma, was suffering terribly from solorisation so i baught the sweet spot card & use descaler with my PC, & its much better, however i think i can maybe get it better still as pic quality still isnt all that.

can anyone reccomend the best filter settings etc for sky svideo in, DVD's running through VGA look really nice but.......... I know sky isnt a great broadcast quality, however i have read some reports that people have got it looking really good..

hardware

XP1700+
    geforce 3 ti500
    762mb 133mhz sdram

however before you say my hardware is crap./......i am upgrading my game pc & will be putting in my XP2400+ @ 2.1ghz with 512mb DDR 3200 in dual channel, onboard GF4mx (good 2D performance tho) after payday so hopefully have a few more horses to use some of the more advanced filters.

look forward to any advice as at the moment i am hesitating about spending a further 400 quid on completing my home cinema PC :( even iof the framerate is poor i would love to be able to see what i can get sky looking like once i get a better processor in there.

Also.....

i have hooked up my xbox through it using component video, its set to pal 60 but the dash is still at 50hz,

on loading a game, when screenmode goes to 60hz, the screen craps out as its expecting 50hz, then it autoswitches to ntsc & runs fine...... but on turning off the game, the dash goes back to PAL50, & its garbled & sweetspot doesnt auto switch back. is ther eany way round this

cheers

M.

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mike

you shouldnt need any filters, other than perhaps the Chroma filter to fix some slight colour registration issues (have a look at the coloured squares in the Sky epg, they should be solid with no bleed)

However, the biggest improvement that you can get is to use RGB out of your Sky box rather than SVideo - you just need the SCART->RGBS cable.

all the best

3. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    ----------------------

thanks for the response.

would scart - component lead work ok? its just that i have 3 component ins on my denon amp, & a number of items i want to use component video with (ps2/xbox, & if possible maybe sky)

if not then i will saccrifice these for the sky butas have just spent some cash on component leads for these devices (not to mention 2 decent quality svideo cables) i would rather not unless i have too.

any advice on the 50hz -->60hz & then back to 50hz switching on my xbox through sweetspot?

cheers

M.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mike
    with regard to your cabling, then it makes sense that you use your Denon as a switcher, and take the component out from the Denon in to SweetSpot. That of course means that you are then getting the processing on all of the sources. To make that work with Sky you then need an RGB to component convertor (see the Distribution and Control section of our site)

re the mode switching back, that sounds like a DScaler issue - if you have a wander over to the DScaler forums then they should be able to help out.

good luck

5. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    cheers mate......

i will have a look :)

6. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    sorry to reply again, but i have been having a look, the converter is a bit out of my price bracket just for having xbox/ps2 component so i am considering the rgb-->rgbs cable

in your opinion how much of an improvement should i expect over using reasonably high qualitly svideo leads which i am using now.

bear in mind the plama panel i am using isnt all that - altho dvd does look reasonably good on it.

thanks again for your input

M..