Please help me get started

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I think I might be in the very lucky position that the company I work for want to invest in 2 members of staff for carrying out aerial surveys/checks of the property portfolio. Long story short, we have several sites and buildings with hard to reach places - the idea is having a drone would give us the flexibility to carry out visual inspections like that of current issues, checking up on works which have been carried out, or just general condition checks.

We looked into hiring but figured it would be a good investment and probably work out significantly cheaper in the long run to train a couple of people up and get a decent drone with various cameras (heat/night vision, 360 degree, 4K etc).

So after a quick check I found that generally courses seem to be around the £800-1000 mark but drones are a bit more complicated. Essentially we think we can probably afford around £3k on the drone with cameras etc...but there's so many options and so much to learn. I tried looking for some dedicated drone forums to get a steer, but not convinced by any I've seen.

So, the long and the short;

1) Am I wasting my time - is it just too much hassle?
2) Are there any dedicated forums I should consider joining?
3) Where to start with training etc (any recommendations)?
4) Advice on drones and cameras etc...ideally a decent drone that allows swappable cameras but I've no idea where to start!?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Drone flight, recreational or commercial is great fun. It can seem daunting at first with the rules and regulations surrounding it and the equipment involved but it is well worth it in the long run.

I would recommend getting yourself registered somewhere like UAV Hub who can give you everything you need.

Which drone forums have you looked at, my first thought is the commercial drone forum here:

I only have a consumer drone so unfortunately not much of a clue when it comes to commercial operations.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom