1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help me fix this - Barco 701 CRT projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by newstuart, May 18, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi everyone, This is my first post on the CRT projector forum although im a regular on AV forums, Im hoping for a littile advice.

Av forums member "Heliport" has very kindly given me a Barco 701 CRT projector which I am collecting this weekend. However it has a fault, The blue tube and input board are broken. I am completley new to projectors as I have a plasma screen but have been toying with the idea of one for a long time.

Can anyone advise firstly where I should look to get these parts and secondally how much of a job it is to fit them ?

Im generally good with most things electronic and can build PCs etc so hope this will be something I can tackle myself as a project.

I also hear these things take some setting up ? if this is the case can anyone provide any tips ? if it helps I plan on feeding the projector from a media center pc

2. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi there Stuart

First off Nice one Alan (helipilot) for giving the unit away, so better than throwing it in the skip.

Stuart, as far as i can remember when reading about the 701 you are to collects problem, one zone on its convergance board is faulty, depending on where this is it may be really annoying. There is a convergance tray on ebay for a tenner which maybe worth picking up its in working order.

The video input is a common fault on these units IIRC, you might be lucky the RGB input may work and the svhs and composite maybe shot, or worst case all three inputs have had it, video inputs are quite rare, Roland @ B4projection.co.uk maybe able to help you here or Henry @ CRT projectors.co.uk.

Blue tubes, now you may have a problem, your blue is totally shot, the inside glass has gone :(. So its fit for the knackers yard. Finding a blue tube may prove a little difficult as they are the first tube to wear out everyone who owns a CRT projector wants to keep hold of them. Same again you could try Roland or Henry or keep your eyes peeled on ebay as they sometimes make an appearance, expect to pay between £75 (if v lucky) - £200, maybe someone on this forum has a worn tube that could get you going. The tubes that are in your 701 are Sony 07MS but providing they have the correct Anode/lead on the end you can use SD187 or worst case SD130 in your projector, (going best to worst).

Installing tubes and replacing boards in the 700 series is pretty simple, once you open it up you will understand why, to me its Barcos worst design though as its not very modular.

Setting them up is a piece of cake,ie focusing, aligning the lenses and converging is very simple providing you follow the setup manual (www.crtcinema.com for your manuals :) ).

Post some more info back on saturday when you collect it and maybe i can help more.

All the best and good luck

James

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    thanks for your input, im off to ebay as we speak and will post back soon

once again thankyou to alan also for the projector

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got an input board but can't help with the blue tube at present

5. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Roland,
    thanks for your offer, Ive got a bid on the one on ebay at the moment which has a few days to run but failing that ill be back to you

stuart

6. javers

javers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a SD130 if its any help, used but 9/10, no burn.

Jon

7. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi javers, Its a blue tube i presume ? How much would you want fot it ? I was going to hold out for a Sony 07MS but im itching to set this beast up so could well be swayed

8. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    right Ive hopefully got the tube and board sorted so should be able to get it going soon

9. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Stuart,

Your best bet may be with Roland for the Input board. The board you are bidding on is a convergence board but it does not look like the convergence board from a 701. I have had a 701 and a 701S and neither convergence board looked like the one you are bidding for. If the photograph is correct I think the board you are bidding on is from a different machine. I am sure Roland could tell you exactly what the board you are bidding on is for.

happy hunting

10. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi alan,
    Ive spotted the same thing after looking at the one on the machine. Problem being I have allready place the bid. Ive emailed the seller to enquire further but no response yet. I have also sent a PM to Roland. Looks as though i need to cancel the Ebay add very soon though