Please help me find someone who can help me repair Polk Audio speakers.

Hi folks.
I am looking for someone who can restore my Polk Audio RT16's to their former glory.
Only one is faulty, it is making a rasping noise:confused:
The drivers look fine from the outside so i don't think the problem lies there so i thought i would unscrew them and pull them out to check for any obvious damage ie burnout tears etc. However when i removed the screws the drivers don't simply "drop out", I don't want to start hacking away so i have decided i need a proper service engineer who can repair them.
I am in the Yorkshire area but don't mind driving them to somewhere they can be fixed within reasonable distance.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as the working speaker is truly a monster and i love the sound it makes. Having the working pair would be great.
Regards,
John.

ARNOLD AKIEN

Hi folks.
I am looking for someone who can restore my Polk Audio RT16's to their former glory.
Only one is faulty, it is making a rasping noise:confused:
The drivers look fine from the outside so i don't think the problem lies there so i thought i would unscrew them and pull them out to check for any obvious damage ie burnout tears etc. However when i removed the screws the drivers don't simply "drop out", I don't want to start hacking away so i have decided i need a proper service engineer who can repair them.
I am in the Yorkshire area but don't mind driving them to somewhere they can be fixed within reasonable distance.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as the working speaker is truly a monster and i love the sound it makes. Having the working pair would be great.
Regards,
John.

How 'reasonable ' is within reasonable distance? :devil:

As a first stage you could try asking for advice from " Wilmslow Audio ...was established in the UK over 35 years ago with just one aim – To provide the music enthusiast with the best possible sound for the lowest price. This is still very much our goal, because unlike the majority of loudspeaker suppliers we don't just sell the product:

We undertake all our own loudspeaker design
We are the sole manufacturer of our own loudspeakers
We are the largest UK distributor of high quality drive units
We offer a full range of loudspeaker kits and loudspeaker subwoofers

We provide a complete loudspeaker repair service

........ We are able to offer a repair service for your damaged or faulty loudspeakers.

We are able to provide you with replacement drives (cones) for your beloved, but ageing loudspeakers. This is usually more economical way of maintaining the sound quality that you are familiar with and have enjoyed over the years.We are the largest distributor in the UK for drive units from high-quality manufacturers such as ATC, Fostex, KEF, Monacor, Morel, Peerless, Scan-Speak, Seas and volt. "

https://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/index.php

You do realise that you will need to replace /refurbish the drivers in both speakers so as to achieve the correct balance between the pair ?

This site will give you a notion of what is involved in repairing a speakers drive unit .....

loudspeaker repairs what is a recone? voice coils, information

They are based in Keighley but advertise products and services over the Internet .. even on e bay I think. :D

Contact details page is here ....

Rmj Loudspeakers

You will need to be really fond of those speakers of yours since I suspect that repairing them properly will NOT be an inexpensive job.

PS ...nearly forgot to mention that you could always contact Polk for advice on spares. Your speakers are reasonably well known and they may well maintain a store of suitable drive units . Contact page here ...

http://www.polkaudio.com/contactus/index.php

I hope that this helps and Good Luck,

Arnold.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom