1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help me find a short throw projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danno37, Mar 15, 2004.

1. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wanting to buy my first projector & have approx £2,500 to spend. I will be sitting approx 6 metres from the screen, but because of the weird room layout & cable running problems I need to put the projector at 3M from the screen.
    I seem to be struggling to find a projector that will give me a large enough image at this throw distance. I would like an image at least 2.5M wide at 16:9 format .

I guess the board has had trillions of newbie posts, wanting to pick brains on their first projector, therefore sorry its a slightly boring post. However I would be most grateful if anyone knows of any decent projectors that would be of use to me.

Thanks In advance

Danno

2. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the Philips Astaire Deluxe with screen size 6ft wide from about 3.5m check out the Philips site there is a projector comparison chart......Jim

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that really is a super short throw......

ad

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    panny 300 here filling a 72" wide screen from 10ft :hiya:

EDIT> meant to type 7ft screen from 10ft not 72" :rolleyes:

5. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies,
    from your reactions, should I be looking for a decent unit such as the HS20, which may fall into the spec I think I need & also into my price range & then get an add on short throw lens? (problem is, I think the add on lens price might stop me being able to afford the electricity to run the thing, also it may reduce quality??) any input from you guys & gals will be appreciated.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HS20 is one of the longer PJs available. Can't see any reason for opting for this & needing a short throw lens.

If you can sit 6m from the screen, why can't you have the PJ 4/5/6m from the screen? HS20 5m or 6m back should allow for an 8' wide screen & well within budget - no lens adapters needed.

:smoke:

7. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Kramer,
    However, as mentioned there are restrictions to this.
    1) House recently refurbished, therefore cable runs a problem due to new laminate floors etc.
    2) Mrs might attack me if I put it above the sofa, instead of infront of the dropped beam (which will hide it altogether) & happens to be near the dvd etc. This dropped beam is 3M from the proposed screen.
    3) Chose HS20 due to spec & fact that sony make a short lens. I dont know if this model is available in UK yet, or the price of the lens. Knowing my luck its not hear yet.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS20 is & has been available for a while. Lots of happy owners here :).

With such a short throw & assuming the PJ will be at/near ceiling height, you'll probably need to use quite a bit of keystone correction or lens shift.

I'd say you'll be limited to a 7' max screen width from that throw (& that's pushing it IMO) with the aforementioned (picture degrading) digital keystone correction.

Tough one but best of luck :).

9. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price for a short throw lense for the HS20 is around €1,200 or £800, which is quite dear. Best to choose a short throw projector from the onset and save yourself the hassle in the future.

My HS20 is 3.75 metres from the screen. I can project an 84 inch/7 foot image from that distance. At 3 metres you're looking at an 68" picture with maximum zoom.

A Panasonic AE500 will give you an 84 picture at 3 metres with maximum zoom. This projector is has native 720p LCD panels so HDTV will look great on it, as will everything else.

10. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks for your time Venom,
    The 84" may be enough. I will go & look at the spec for this one.

11. wixy

wixy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i project from 3 metres with the hitachi pj-tx10, it can project up to a 294 cm image. plus it had lens shift!