please help me find a short throw projectors

D

danno37

I am wanting to buy my first projector & have approx £2,500 to spend. I will be sitting approx 6 metres from the screen, but because of the weird room layout & cable running problems I need to put the projector at 3M from the screen.
I seem to be struggling to find a projector that will give me a large enough image at this throw distance. I would like an image at least 2.5M wide at 16:9 format .

I guess the board has had trillions of newbie posts, wanting to pick brains on their first projector, therefore sorry its a slightly boring post. However I would be most grateful if anyone knows of any decent projectors that would be of use to me.

Thanks In advance

Danno

jimcarney

I have the Philips Astaire Deluxe with screen size 6ft wide from about 3.5m check out the Philips site there is a projector comparison chart......Jim

Zone

panny 300 here filling a 72" wide screen from 10ft :hiya:

EDIT> meant to type 7ft screen from 10ft not 72" :rolleyes:

D

danno37

Thanks for your replies,
from your reactions, should I be looking for a decent unit such as the HS20, which may fall into the spec I think I need & also into my price range & then get an add on short throw lens? (problem is, I think the add on lens price might stop me being able to afford the electricity to run the thing, also it may reduce quality??) any input from you guys & gals will be appreciated.

K

Kramer

HS20 is one of the longer PJs available. Can't see any reason for opting for this & needing a short throw lens.

If you can sit 6m from the screen, why can't you have the PJ 4/5/6m from the screen? HS20 5m or 6m back should allow for an 8' wide screen & well within budget - no lens adapters needed.

:smoke:

D

danno37

Thanks for the reply Kramer,
However, as mentioned there are restrictions to this.
1) House recently refurbished, therefore cable runs a problem due to new laminate floors etc.
2) Mrs might attack me if I put it above the sofa, instead of infront of the dropped beam (which will hide it altogether) & happens to be near the dvd etc. This dropped beam is 3M from the proposed screen.
3) Chose HS20 due to spec & fact that sony make a short lens. I dont know if this model is available in UK yet, or the price of the lens. Knowing my luck its not hear yet.

K

Kramer

The HS20 is & has been available for a while. Lots of happy owners here :).

With such a short throw & assuming the PJ will be at/near ceiling height, you'll probably need to use quite a bit of keystone correction or lens shift.

I'd say you'll be limited to a 7' max screen width from that throw (& that's pushing it IMO) with the aforementioned (picture degrading) digital keystone correction.

Tough one but best of luck :).

V

Venom1969

The price for a short throw lense for the HS20 is around €1,200 or £800, which is quite dear. Best to choose a short throw projector from the onset and save yourself the hassle in the future.

My HS20 is 3.75 metres from the screen. I can project an 84 inch/7 foot image from that distance. At 3 metres you're looking at an 68" picture with maximum zoom.

A Panasonic AE500 will give you an 84 picture at 3 metres with maximum zoom. This projector is has native 720p LCD panels so HDTV will look great on it, as will everything else.

D

danno37

Many Thanks for your time Venom,
The 84" may be enough. I will go & look at the spec for this one.

W

wixy

i project from 3 metres with the hitachi pj-tx10, it can project up to a 294 cm image. plus it had lens shift!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom