Please Help Me Find A Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Save_Me, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Save_Me

Save_Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello I'm new here so please be gentle with me :hiya:

I am looking to purchase a projector in about 4 weeks time (my first one) I have a budget of £800 (Inclusive) and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas as to what I should get. TIA

:lease:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    For that price the Sanyo Z3 is the best value. Do a search on this forum...PJ :)

3. Save_Me

Save_Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks I was kind of headed towards this, but didn't know how it compared to the Optoma H27 or the Screenplay 4805.

4. bramski

bramski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know very little about projectors and have never owned one, so I can't give you any solid or technical advice. However, I was in your position 10 days ago and I have spent the last 10 days going through this forum and several like it, reading reviews, posts and 40 page threads and whatnot, and the general concencus seems to be that the Z3 is the best bang for buck PJ that you'll get for £800 at this moment in time. Partially due to the fact that you are getting a 3 year warranty and a free replacement bulb for roundabouts £810 delivered inc. vat.

I bought one yesterday, my only regret so far is not ordering it in the middle of the week as I could have been playing with it now :D

Good luck with whatever you do decide to buy :thumbsup:

5. Save_Me

Save_Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks bramski

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    ... but isn't the anticipation great?! :D

A PJ is my greatest AV purchase. Period. Only now do I have a Home Cinema...PJ :)

7. bramski

bramski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's almost too great, I'm compiling lists of movies that I have to watch on my new large screen :)

8. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It seems that stocks of the Z3 are running pretty low. If you're set on getting one, buy one now.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Same here :thumbsup:

I dont think that will go far wrong getting the Z3 imo, especially at the current prices.

10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    you wouldn't be unhappy with any of the projectors mentioned. I've had my Themescene H30 for almost a year now and aside from having to replace the lamp after 110 hours due to it blowing after a power cut (£240) it has been faultless...completely transformed watching movies and playing xbox...one of the best purchases I have ever made. My advice...stop thinking about it and buy one...the Z3 will be fine!

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Ouch! Only had one power cut so far with the PJ in action, when I first got it. Seems to have had no side effects... but I suppose the eventual bulb life will the only indicator. I don't think I've ever heard of a bulb actually blowing directly because of a power cut...PJ :)

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,706
    Maybe the heat spike caused by a lack of cooling as the power failed caused the internal lamp stems to melt/weaken and the next time it was turned on one of the stems went open circuit?

Gary.

13. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Save Me, welcome to the forums.

I was like you 6 weeks ago, had the same budget, no experience of projectors but wanted one.

I had a good look round the forums and plumbed for a Sanyo Z3 based on the reviews here, the 3 yr warranty and the free spare bulb offer. For the price the whole package made my decision easy.

Basically, I am blown away by the picture quality and the whole cinema experience it provides :eek:

A bit of advice I would give if your purchasing a screen is to get the projector first and then site the projector, project an image onto the area where the screen is going to go and then measure the image obtained with everyting set up. This ensures you get the best sized screen without any "guesswork".

I'm not sure how much longer the free bulb offer will be available, I read on another thread one supplier was no longer offering it with the Z3 so it might be worth acting quickly if you decide on the Z3.

Good luck with whatever you buy - you will never want to leave the house again :smashin:

14. Save_Me

Save_Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you dmjohnson123

15. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    It was quite distressing at the time...but I soon got over it, the chaps at Sevenoaks were very helpful...

16. slawrence

slawrence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take a look at the new Sanyo PLC-XU73. It's rated at 2,000 lumens, has XGA resolution, and most vendors in USA are selling it under $1,000. It has no digital input, only analog Dsub15, VGA type connector for computer, but it does have component and S-Video inputs. It has a shorter throw lens, probably good for home use. Sterling
    Here's a description: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLC-XU73.htm