1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me decide

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nasgul, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Nasgul

Nasgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to buy the latest Kef Eggs.

I would appreciate some advice on a surround amp/ receiver and dvd player I can use with them.

I have looked at Denon/ Yamaha and Marantz.

My budget is approx 1500.

My TV is a 36" Panasonic (it does have Progressive Scan, should I get a DVD player to use this feature ? what is the advantage ?)

I would like to use 7.1 surround, but understand that the majority of DVD's only utilise 5.1, so is there a point ?

Thanks,

2. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I highly recommend a Denon product over marantz.
    A lot of owners have complained over crackling, useability issues, most of which is discussed in this furum.

depending on what you are looking for in a system think about the denon 1804 at about £350 and "i think" the denon dvd 900, which has progressive scan and dvd-audio, at around-a-bout £300. Or though not completely sure on the price.
    the denon supports 7.1 speakers dolby ex etc...
    sure most of the movies are being brought out in 5.1 but dolby ex and others formats can expand 5.1 soundtracks with great results, and it has a viable future.

3. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nasgul,

I too would recommend a DENON but go for the more expensive AVR 3803, as this will allow you an easier upgrade path for the future. I know it's expensive (around £900) but the quality will speak for itself.
    For the dvd player how about a Cambridge Audio DVD 55 (£150) or DVD 57 (£200) from RicherSounds. Both of these have prog scan, and are multi-region straight from the box, so no faffing about with hacks/codes etc.
    With regards to the question of 7.1 surround, as there are NO current DVD releases using seven discrete channel soundtracks,there is no such thing as TRUE 7.1. The best you can hope for is DTS 6.1 ES discrete (as in Austin Powers Goldmember) amongst others. All the 7.1 refers to is that it has 7 power amps with the ability to drive two surround back speakers,(which share the same signal), allowing you to space them out to create a wider sound stage. This is also useful when listening to any pro-logic/stereo sources,as you can use the pro-logic II/7.1 stereo function to give a wider sound.
    So as you see my recommendations will allow you buy youself an extra pair of "eggs" for the back channels, and perhaps a good quality component video lead to make the most of the prog scan capability.

TTFN