Please help me decide

C

camlogan

hi all, I want to upgrade my denon 1601 amp to give me 6.1 or 6.1 with 2 rears. Watching movies is my primary concern but good sounding music is also important.

With my own research it seems like I have a choice of 3....and I was hoping that some of you experts could help me decide. btw; I have kef 2005's as my speakers. I have a sim2 dmf with a remote interface box so all my component switching is done with that...unless there is another use for them on the back of the amps?

Yamaha 630 for about £350
Marantz 5200/5300 for about £400
Denon 3802 for about £600

Does the Denon's 2 rear chanels make that much of a difference -for movies and 7 chanel stero?

thanks in advance everyone

CaM

Hi

On the 3802 you have the option of selecting either one rear centre channel or have both running, to be honest there´s not a huge difference between the two options.

Having two rear centre channel speakers set apart was supposed to overcome the odd acoustic effect of sounds coming from in front of you when a single speaker is placed directly behind you. You can get round this by angling the speaker down anyway.:rolleyes:

7ch stereo gives you stereo rear centres but all the other modes (DTS ES, Dolby EX etc) are a mono signal that is played back through both the rear centre channels.

thanks for that info. From what you have said its probably not worth me spending the extra 200 pounds or so on the ability to have 2 rears.

that only leaves the marnatz vs the yamaha :)

CaM

Do you want "good sounding music" compared to other AV receivers or to dedicated stereo amps because unfortunately I don't think you will get either with your current choices (maybe the Marantz as I havn't heard this).

If you want 'good' sounding music you should audition NAD, ARCAM, Harman Kardon, Nakamichi.

Even the Hi fi press says the Denon and Yamaha are not particularly musical.

hi there, thanks for your reply. I'm more interested in movies as I will be running my music mostly through my xbox mp3 server and with mp3 I will be loosing quality anyway.

thanks

CaM

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom