PLEASE help me decide on which one to buy: Sharp LC42X20E or LC46XL2E

n1tul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I didn’t want to hijack someone else’s thread, so created this one.

This screen is for my girlfriend’s house, she wants a large screen although 42 are small and 50 are too big!! So I narrowed down the option to this sharp and Samsungs 46" range.

I was not sure about buying a sharp as everyone tends to stick with more known brand names, but researching proves different. I saw the LC42X20E as well as the Samsung 46F86 in curry’s running HD and was very impressed by both. The Samsung seems to have a lot more issues that I don’t want to deal with down the line, although the sharp has some as well.

The TV will mainly be used for SD Sky and that’s really it, and a small surround sound system will follow. So considering what it will be used for I’ve decided that that the sharp would be a good choice to go for. Main factors being the use of the screen, costs as well as current deals available.

Crampton & Moore have good reputation, price and better guarantee so will be buying from there, currently sharp are offering the free Blu-Ray player on both sharp models which is cherry on top!

The prices are:

LC46X20E £1,038.99

LC46XL2E £1,289.00 (excluding P+P)

The main questions I want to ask are:

1) What is ‘banding’ as this seems to be the main issue with the sharps

2) Is it worth paying the extra money for the LC46XL2E, the only difference being the refresh rate from what I gather? (The saving would be enough to buy a nice small surround sound for the Blu-ray player! :))

:lease: could you advise asap as want to order within the next few days.

Thanks all ,

just got a copy of what hifi mag and was disappointed to see that they only gave the sharp 3/5 stars compared to the sony and samsung 46" models which got 5/5! will post model number later.

one thing i noticed is that the pricing seems to be all over the place! so the review is based on what u get for the price ur paying which was way over what even sharp are charging direct!!

Also from what ppl say on here they are very biased...
Check out the thread on them, I bought one last week, very impressed.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605801&page=91

Oh, and I went for the XL2E, futureproofing slightly :)

cheers mate least one reply all day!! lol

i was impressed with this in currys running philips HD signal across the two (other being samsung) the philips where nice but the sharp seemed ten times better running that source. the samsung was very nice aswell but its 1500+ just the screen!? think i will just go with the XL2E from C&M.

(how much u pay and where u buy from if u dont mind me aksing?)

thanks alot

MMmm....I think the XL2E is the older version and is superseded by the X20E.

Comet told me XL2E is the older model also which they no longer stock now.

I purchased the X20E. So far, happy with the picture, but I need to get some decent cables to get the best out of it. Took me a while to set up and still at it. Have Haven't tested Blu-ray on it yet.

From Currys, its just under 1k and comes with free blu-ray player. Results of testing to come...

Important CORRECTION - Doublechecked the model number, it was the LC42XD10E which is the older 42inch model. I went back to check. It is not the XL2E model!!

Apologies on the confusion!

MMmm....I think the XL2E is the older version and is superseded by the X20E.

Comet told me XL2E is the older model also which they no longer stock now.

I purchased the X20E. So far, happy with the picture, but I need to get some decent cables to get the best out of it. Took me a while to set up and still at it. Have Haven't tested Blu-ray on it yet.

From Currys, its just under 1k and comes with free blu-ray player. Results of testing to come...

cant be the old version, its got 100hz refresh rate which is new technology, the X20E is the same but without the 100Hz, also the XL2E is higher in price??

Thats a good point! I only read that somewhere and was told it.

Time to do more digging...then. Will see what else I can find.

Apologies!! You're right!

Clarification.....the model that the X20E replaces I believe is the XD10E & NOT the XL2E

My bad, but at least we got to the bottom of it! :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom