Please Help Me Decide.....I don't have a clue!

JayJay77

Standard Member
Reaction score
Finally have the Panny setup, stand on way. This has my PS3 connected, which is OK kinda does what I need. All my data files (film/music) are stored on my PC. Streaming films from PC to PS3 are bit slow, unless I hardwire it.......

so my wants are pretty simple......

1) I'll look at getting a NAS drive 2-4TB to store all my films and music on to stream to the new TV.......I just need your advice on what you THINK would be best for me....

"I would really like a nice front screen for films (thumbs/pics) just a really simple/nice and easy to browse....not just a boring LIST of the films/music. I would also really like (not sure if possible) a nice front for my music to, something like the itunes - albums pics and stuff. I can't find much info. on the menus :confused: guess wireless would be nice as I could also pic I'm guessing I could pic all this up from my laptop too?

.......................... so please can you help me, filter out, find what you think would be good for me. Bare in mind I'm really not good with techno stuff, firmware...updating etc. :(

• HDI Dune BD Prime 3.0 Blu-ray Network Media Player
  • Popcorn Hour
  • Mede8er
  • Netgear NeoTV < Hearing lots of comments?
  • Xtreamer HD Network Media Player
  • Others??
:lease:

There are various add-ons for media players like Azzin mentions YAMJ is available for the Popcornhour,Mede8er, Xtreamer etc. there are also others like Zappiti for the HDI Dune. These all require manual updates so must generate the data that is displayed by using the tool on your PC. Not sure about variants for music the Popcornhour might have some.

If your not a technically inclined person I think you might want to avoid those and go with something like the Boxee Box, the difference with this player is that it auto-downloads all the movie/tvshow data/coverart on its own so you dont have to do anything in this area, music wise it will display any associated coverart. Here are pictures of the music management and playback. You can install the PC version of the software for yourself and see how it works out for you, quick tip in Boxee how to add media sources.

Another new player on the scene of the WDTV Live Media Hub like the Boxee player it also auto downloads data for you though the exact details are clear yet as it's only just come out.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
All in all they pretty much do the same job - has anyone found cthat certain streamers are poor with streaming (limited) at certain file types? or do they all pretty much play everything?

Look at the software updates - is it fairly simple to do??

Basics - download and, install in to the player.....and sit back?

Also, do you have to update the details (screen shot, thumbs film info etc.) manually for each film?

Most decent media players these days the very good media codec support though they are differences when it comes to Blu-ray menus & HD audio support, only certain models support those.

Software updates are called firmware updates and they are pretty straight forward some have the feature built it which will auto download the update whereas most just have a basic copy to USB flash drive then update from that.

All the players you mentioned are manual for film info and that kind of data, the Boxee Box and WDTV Live Hub are automatic no input from you required as long as the files are named accurately.

so, why did you choose the A200 over the A110 or the C200? do you have a pic of your front screen? guessing you have updated this yourself?

and have you just got a HD pluged into in? or you wireless stream this from the PC?

Will any of these support 3d yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
so, why did you choose the A200 over the A110 or the C200? do you have a pic of your front screen? guessing you have updated this yourself?

and have you just got a HD pluged into in? or you wireless stream this from the PC?

Will any of these support 3d yet?

Thats Azzin not me. I do not own a Popcornhour.

You can find videos of the Popcornhour GUI on Youtube. No players currently support 3D.

OK lol

So, XBMC is software on the PC?

Tvix < another media streamer? more like teh Dune with a built in HD?
Why you have the Tvix

Have two because we got two TV's (one media source which is a NAS).

XBMC is a cross platform media player and it can run on certain hardware the old AppleTV being one of those platforms. The Tvix Slim S1 is a regular media player one of the better than average ones but not in the same league as the higher end Dune players.

As I already said before based on what you asked for in your original post if you dont have much in the way of technical skills the Boxee Box is your best bet, try the PC software out and see for yourself, the Boxee platform is actually a commercial off-shoot of XBMC.

MMmmmm think thats all bit toooo tech for me :(

If I did look at a Dune, is there any point having the 500gb HD version? as realistically you wouldn't store many bluer films on that - what would be the point?

would I be better getting the std one-and a 2tb NAS drive?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom