1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me connect up my Toshiba RDXS32

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Lex, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just taken delivery of a shiny new DVD/HDD Recorder (Toshiba RDXS32) - I am sure it will be fantastic if I can only figue out how to connect the thing up properly! It all seemed fairly straight-forward in my head but somehow it isn't working in reality! :suicide:

I have to connect:

Pro-Logic amp (2xphono)

Toshiba TV (1xRGB input)
    Sky digibox (RGB passthrough)
    Toshiba RDXS32 (RGB passthrough)

XBOX (RGB Scart)
    PS2 (RGB Scart)

4xRGB Scart hub

Profigold PGV782 scart leads x4 (don't need them all now)

I have just taken the VCR out of the equation temporarily as it is doing my head in!

Okay, I have gone PS2 & XBOX>scart hub>Sky>DVDRec>TV with DVDRec>amp via phono leads...

However, I have no sound from amp during Sky or DVD playback, but I do get sound from terestrial tv :confused:
    I also have no autoswitching of aspect ratio...

I am not worried about the games consoles for now, I just want SKY & DVD with sound!!

I am fairly sure I have all the settings in the DVDRec set properly so can only think that it is connected up wrong :confused:

Help! :lease:

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know this is a dumb question, but you are using the phonos on the rear and not the front?

ill test mine when I get home (I use optical cable)

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what you have posted it seems you have it set up correctly for your system.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies guys -

nunew33, Yes I am using the rear phono outs - like I said I am getting sound from terrestrial tv, just not from sky or dvd playback!

Bobbles, I agree, I can't really see how I would do it any better - I will be getting a digital amp soon, but if anything it should be less problomatic as it is!

I have had a cuppa and calmed me nerves, I'll go and have another look at it...

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried attaching the phonos direct to sky to see if they work.

Have you set up the audio options in the set up menu correctly PCM??

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmmn, I'm not sure what I have done (other than fiddle) but it all seems to be working okay now... I think part of my problem was the sat/cont - sat/mon & tv/dvr buttons - I am not sure what they all do but I know if I keep pressing them everything seems to fall into place! :blush: :rolleyes:

I read in several reviews that this machine was complicated to setup/run, and I guess I have seen that... Anyway, I'm gonna keep fiddling, thanks for your input... You should have just said: :rtfm: :D

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sat cont allows you to take control of your STB if you input the correct code

SAT Moni allows the input to AV2 to pass directly through to AV1 i.e to your TV no matter what the tosh is doing.

It is particularly useful if you are burning a disc and want to watch sky while the menus load.

AV1 and AV2 should be both set to RGB.

If you press TV on your sky remote it switches the signal to composite, pressing sky returns it to rgb.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sky+ so I have never tried this. However, you can get the tosh to control your digibox i.e. automatically switching to another sky channel when recording.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

10. lateadopter

lateadopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally jumped on to the DVD bandwagon and spent Boxing Day playing with a shiny new RD-XS32.

Connected DVD, TV and digibox (Panasonic TU-DSB30) as shown in the guide with digibox connected to AV2 (SCART).

Managed to get the Toshiba Remote to control the TV and the digibox :thumbsup: (pressing Sat.Cont. then the numeric keypad, although Channel Up/Down does nothing in this case). :thumbsdow

All was going so nicely until I tried the channel setting. AUTO channel setting picked up the French terrestrial channels (SECAM L). I came unstuck with the Manual channel setting (Page 36/37 of the Installation Guide).

I scrolled down to the first of the SAT positions and selected the "Home CH" column. Neither use of ADJUST nor the numeric keypad produced any detection of a SAT channel (I expected that 101 would give me BBC1, etc.). :confused:

Can anyone help?

Bob.

P.S. Having found this useful thread I've already tried repeating the procedure with Input signal set to PAL and with AV2 set to RGB - to no avail.