Please Help Me Connect GA4E to Laptop

L

lcdangry

I’ve just bought a Sharp LC26 GA4E and have two problems with it:

I just can’t connect my Dell Latitude C640 (analogue) laptop to it. The laptop has an ATI Radion 7500 card and it connects easily to normal computer monitors through VGA port. It has compatible resolution of 1024x768 at 60hz.

I’ve tried the Manual’s suggestion of connecting via a VGA to DVI converter cable (into DVI port on back of LCD) but get nothing regardless of what setting e.g. input signal etc etc. NOTHING. Sharp Helpline suggested connect to input 5. IT DOESN’T HAVE AN INPUT 5! They then suggested S-Video from laptop 2 S-Video on LCD. NOT A JOT!

All I want to do is simply use the LCD as my monitor…as simple as that.

The second issue is the constant whirring of the fan. It’s so loud. Even my dogs heads are spinning and I’m sure it will soon take off like a helicopter – that’s if I don’t chuck it out of the window first!

Does anyone out there have a solution to these problems?

I have the 32" version. No problems with fan noise, they are barely audible, so I think you possibly have a duff fan. As for connection to laptop again I have no problems, connected VGA to DVI A cable hit the hotkey on my laptop to toggle on the external display and there it was. Still haven't got the settings quite as I would like them as need to play with the settings on the Sharp and on the Laptop but it certainly works. Have you had problems with any other external monitors or has it worked as expected in the past?

Firstly connect all leads to tv, then select input 4 on the tv. Go into your display settings on your laptop (right click desktop and select properties) then click the settings tab. In here you can adjust the display to appear on your tv instead of your laptop, like the post above i have a hotkey on my laptop to change between displays.

As for the fan noise my LC26GA4E is fine, the only time i can hear the fans is when i've muted the set and even then it's barely noticeable.

Many thanks to you both...all working fine now. John Lewis had given me wrong information and sold me the wrong connectors!!!

Now connected with an all-in-one VGA to DVI-D...it looks awsome, even in full screen mode.

Fan still annoying but I'll get them to fix that.

Cheers!

I have the same issue. My tablet PC only has VGA output. It seems like this thread answers the question of how I hook it up to my Sharp LCD TV, but can someone please point me at precisely the piece of kit/cable I need?

Thanks!
Blakey

Well, I sourced a DVI cable from work and bought a VGA to DVI converter dongle off the net. Plugged them all in and nothing happens. I too have an output of 1024x768 at 60Hz and I have managed to get this working with an external monitor and with a projector using VGA-VGA very easily.

From reading the other posts in this thread it appears that perhaps there are different types of DVI cable? Is that possible? If so, what sort of DVI do I need?

FYI:
TV is the Sharp LC26GA4E.
Tablet PC is the Motion M1400VA. It only has VGA output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Blakey.

I just tried this with a Dell flat panel monitor here at work using a DVI connection and that doesn't work either. The tablet pc can see the monitor and even knows what it is but there is no display.

A friend here at work thinks that perhaps its to do with refresh rates. The tablet doesn't seem capable of sticking out anything under 60Hz. Should it be set to less than that?

Still would love some help on this...

Thanks
Blakey

You need to make sure your DVI cable has all pins connected, do a search and you'll find examples of what the various pin configurations look like.

Once you are sure you have an analogue connection you need to enable the connection as detailed in previous posts.

Hmmm, I have a VGA to DVI converter and a DVI cable. My TV seems (from playing with the menu system) to support DVI digital and DVI analogue input - but I'm not 100% certain of that as I don't have it or a manual here at work with me at the moment. I guess the dongle I have (which only cost a couple of quid) can't be converting to digital signal, but rather to analogue DVI (no idea if I am talking rubbish here!!!!).

So, does that mean what I have should work or do I need a different connection - like a VGA to DVI-D cable/connection of some sort?

Many thanks for your help
Blakey

Okay, I have done much research. For those interested, this page is great to explain that there are in fact two totally different types of DVI connection AND cable: http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

So, my problem seems to have been that I had a VGA to DVI-A converter dongle but then a DVI-D cable. So there was nothing working because my signal from the Tablet PC is analogue and the cable was digital only.

I have now sourced a DVI-A cable and will give that a whirl. Should get a chance to try it out this lunchtime and will post my results...

Cheers
Blakey

Wahoo! Success! VGA to DVI-A did the trick. Learn something new everyday.

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey said:
Wahoo! Success! VGA to DVI-A did the trick. Learn something new everyday.

Cheers
Blakey

Basically all DVI-A is doing is supplying standard analogue VGA signals (RGBHV) via the DVI lead.
Glad it works though.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom