Question Please help me compare between A/V receivers like Sony HT M55 and Hometheatres

jithosh

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I just bought a 55 inch Led Tv and am planning to buy a home theater. probably 5.1. My need is i want to have almost cinematic experience at the expense of being in a living room. The room is comparatively large enough. So i need to know the differences between normal home theaters like Samsung HT J 5100K and A/V receiver models which have large speakers like SOny HT-M55 and all. Will both give me different experiences?? Both are 5.1 and 5.2 channels respectively. One will have more bass is that the only difference?? I have heard music in a Sony HT M55 like system, its quite awesome...!!! So which should i consider ?? Samsung HT J 5100K or Sony HT M55? I don't go for soundbars coz they give me virtual experiences is it?

All-In-One system Pros:
Gives you the convenience of not having to choose components and "mixing and matching". They're also usually more attractive looking than separates.

All-In-One system Cons:
Little or no flexibility if you decide you'd like to upgrade any of the parts (player, amp, speakers) either by replacing or adding (in the case of speakers).

Separates Pros:
Flexibility and choice. If you decide to upgrade, say, the bluray player, you only have to replace one component.
You can shop around and choose the components you want and compare prices.

Separates Cons:
You need to have a basic knowledge of how to connect components.

If there's a dealer near you who stocks both types of system, see if you can go along and have a listen. Richer Sounds (and other dealers) will often have separates packages, where they bundle together components that will usually be a good match and save you money.

I've always preferred separates

generally is one better than the other or so on??

Sources - what devices will you be using?

TV - which model do you have and will you be using the TV as a Tuner or Streaming device (requiring audio out from the TV to your sound system?).

Amp - it is always best to go for separates, your choice of Source devices and number of Source devices will guide you to the best feature set on the Amp.

Loudspeakers - ideally you purchase a system which suits the room and planned room layout, do you have a floor plan with an indication of seating and TV position.

Layout - ideally you aim to follow the Dolby guide,
5.1 Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

PS Are you in your home town of Kerala or over here in the UK?

Thanks Joe. I am in my home town of Kerala. I am having 55 inch K6300 Samsung TV, I plan to use my TV as requiring audio out from TV to sound system. I am not an expert in case of speakers and all so was not looking for seperates , if the budget fits into this category I can go for seperates. My room is around 4 metres in length thats from the TV to the back. I had a look on the ideal 5.1 set up guide.

Sources - what devices will you be using?

TV - which model do you have and will you be using the TV as a Tuner or Streaming device (requiring audio out from the TV to your sound system?).

Amp - it is always best to go for separates, your choice of Source devices and number of Source devices will guide you to the best feature set on the Amp.

Loudspeakers - ideally you purchase a system which suits the room and planned room layout, do you have a floor plan with an indication of seating and TV position.

Layout - ideally you aim to follow the Dolby guide,
5.1 Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

PS Are you in your home town of Kerala or over here in the UK?

Blimey you were reading my mind - Post #4 is a reply to Post #5 (one for the AVF team to work out :)).

'I am not an expert in case of speakers' - we all start out somewhere, use your ears to decide what sounds good to you.

Separates - considering an AVR from one brand plus Loudspeakers from a different brand allows you to select Loudspeakers which best suit your room (working with the Dolby layout guide).

Loudspeakers - often the marketing for 'systems' makes grand claims about experiencing Cinema sound, Huge Explosions, etc ... and most of these systems are not bad at bangs and crashes. The majority of most Movies and TV is dialogue and that is mostly handled by the Centre channel which is usually the least capable speaker in a 'system'. If you have the option to go and listen to a few systems ensure you listen to dialogue passages rather than the big blockbuster explosions. Many folk struggle to follow dialogue on poor speaker systems and usually grab the remote and turn the volume up hoping that will fix things (it won't).

Joe

PS Kerala - nice part of the world.

Thanks and should i go for the Sony Muteki range or something or normal Home Theatre range??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom