Question Please help me clear this up...

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Snowtrouper, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've just ordered and paid for a Sony KDL 50W829 (I was expecting the BBU model) but Argos have gone and delivered the Sony KDL50W805C by mistake.

My question is am I better off? Is the W805C a match for the W829b?

I spent a lot of time deciding on the W829.

Please could someone shed a little light on the difference between the models and maybe offer a little advice if they have any?

Thanks chaps.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Not sure i understand the question ? have you just bought a 2015 model instead of a 2014 model ?

3. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, head was on backwards lol.

I ordered and paid for the W829B and received the w805C.

What I'm asking really is, what's the difference between the models and should I keep this W805C or return it for the W829B I initially ordered.

What would you do?

I did a lot of looking about before I decided on the W829 so it's a bit of a curve ball getting something I know little about.

Just looking for some advice I guess.

4. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Ahhh i understand now, not sure i can help to be honest but i'm sure someone will be along shortly.

5. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well thanks anyway. :)

It's a great picture. It's also the 2015model for the price of a 2014 but I'm struggling to find any detailed specs about it.

I was looking for the response and refresh rate of the 829. It had some accolades on that front. Can't find the relevant details about the 805C anywhere!

If anyone just has a link to some solid spec info it would be really helpful!

6. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
  7. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thank's I appreciate that.

Unfortunately even Sony don't cover all the details that I'm looking for. Latency, response and refresh rate etc. I'm not sure which processor this panel uses either. I know the W829 was triple core.

Truth be told I was exhausted after researching my way to the decision of buying the W829. I'm kind of burned out. Was hoping someone who knows their stuff would be along to either tell me I got a massive bonus or the two TV's are very different in one way or another and I should just get them returned/replaced.

Obviously I don't want to be kicking myself if I send back a TV of higher quality and value. On the flip side I want to at least get the features I was buying a TV for in the first place.

I have a feeling the W829 stock will be depleted by Monday too. Which complicated my situation more.

8. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  9. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Vicster. And I agree, I would buy from a retailer usually. Was struggling to find stock anywhere for the w829. They had it on display iin Argos and the number was specified on my order and receipt. They've offered to replace it. Now I just need to decide whether I want to.

Maybe those links will help me decide. Much appreciated! :)

10. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The equivalent of the 829B in the 2015 lineup is the 809C. 805C is the succesor to the 805B that was never offered in the UK but they used the same panel in the 805 and 829 (and 815 and 828B) and the difference is negligible really, in practice only on Motionflow setting Clear and Impulse. But the 805C has been cranked up to XR800 as well this year, similar to 829B's rating but no idea if they function the same technically.

I don't see any discussion about the gaming performance of 805C in that link? The thread is so old it wasn't even available then ... There are no* reviews of it yet anywhere even, no info on panel used either. The whole service menu looks completely different from years before ...
    Also what triple core does 829B have?? Maybe x-reality + dualcore smart tv chip = triple core (that's how I've seen Panasonic explain their triple core iirc :D)
    The 805C uses a newer smart tv chip for Google TV and the x-reality one is certainly not going to be worse. Personally if the picture is satisfactory I would keep it is my first thought ...

* forgot about this one. Was the W855C that didn't have a review yet ...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  11. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Apparently the 2015 range has substantially higher input lag, even the non 4ks like the 705c. I'm assumin the 805c would be no different.

12. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Yes, somewhere mid 30's for the 805C and 855C. 705C is replacing 605B so not that much worse for this particular one, seems the FHD android tv models suffer the worst but 4K models have improved .
    For this topic though, gaming was not relevant ...

13. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hey guys, sorry for the late reply/follow up on this.

Thanks for all the info. It's really helped me out.

I'm still not too happy with the input lag not being on par with the model I ordered AMD paid for but overall I've been enjoying the TV. Picture quality beats my Panasonic VT30 plasma hands down.

I'm still undecided about whether to have it replaced but I don't think they'll have stock of the W829 left anyway. In which case, where do I stand legally I wonder? Doubt they'd give me anything special tho. A refund at best maybe?

What I'm considering is trying to get them to send me a couple of pairs of 3D glasses seeing as none come with this panel and would have with the w829.

Maybe I should just put a Wanted ad in the classifieds and try my luck at a decent 2nd hand W829.

Gah! Would have been nice to have just got the TV I ordered and paid for though!

As before any advice or suggestions would be gladly taken on board guys. Thanks again for the earlier input!

14. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Personally, if you're happy with it, I'd keep it.

If the model number was specified anywhere, and they delivered something else, then you could require them to collect the one they delivered, and reimburse any costs (i.e. purchase price including postage), as what they supplied was not what was ordered.

15. Snowtrouper

Snowtrouper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah, I kind of guessed that was the case.

Think I'm gonna keep it (newer model after all) and try to pick up a W829 secondhand.