1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me chosing a Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SillySausage, Jul 10, 2004.

1. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hia peeps and peepesses :hiya:

I am just about to purchase a plasma and would appreciate a bit of advice from present users of such beasts.

It is to replace a Sony KV32FX60 widescreen CRT, that has and still is giving excellent quality through tv and DVD's etc.

I am doing as many people are, and hoping to put a plasma up on the fireplace chimney breast and create a lot more room in the lounge.

Until now though, I don't think Plasma's have given the picture quality of my tv.Is it the right time to buy :rolleyes:

I have about £3000 to play with and it will be mainly used for watching DVD's through a Pioneer 565 dvd player and watching sky digital.

I have a full dolby digital speaker system so the audio is not a problem and I do not want any tuners / speakers etc on the plasma.

What do you guys recomened :lease:

Ps, It is a 42" plasma I am looking for.

Cheers,

Adam.

2. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm relatively new to this myself and only recently got a plasma tv (a panasonic viera 37'') we didn't have room for a 42'' but it has built in tuners digital and analogue and incredibly powerful but extremely slim speakers and it looks great mind you it does sit slightly off the wall more so than other plasma's so i went for the cabinet. But i highly recommend it the picture quality both with sky and dvd is terrific and if you've been on this forum like i did you'll know all the real plasma nerds think very highly of panasonics good luck :thumbsup:

3. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hia Baz,

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think I was invisible ;)

I too have found the Panasonics very nice.

It is a toss up between the TH42PWD6BX for £2000 in Richer Sounds, or the TH-42PHD6 for £3000 approx at Av Sales..

hmmm

Adam.

4. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    here to be honest if i was doing it again and the missus agreed i'd have gone for the 42 but both of your choices would be excellent if you can be bothered with the tuner box and all the connections to it personally i wasnt so went for the convienance of built in and bought from richer sounds

5. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well worth looking at the hitachi 42pd5200. built in tuner, every connection you could wish for and fantastic picture to boot :) I had the 42" but I am currently returning it as its too big for our room and replacing it for the 37" version. The panny viera 37 takes up the same space as the 42" hitachi so bear in mind the 42" viera will be HUGE :)

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I can second that, saw a 42" viera in a panny shop last week, it was as huge, about the same size as a 50" Pw6!!!

7. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for the replies guys.

I'll have a look at the various models.

The physical size may be an issue as we're putting in false chimney breast to house the beast.

I don't really need a tuner or speakers built in, so I suppose I only need a monitor version.

Adam.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you can run to it, the PHD might be the way to go, higher resolution will look better with future formats, HDTV from sky in 2006, HD DVD whenever. The std. screen supports these formats, and they will still look better than what's available now, just it lacks the resolution to make the most of them. But don't lose sleep over it if the extra 1k is more than you want to go. A purely personal comment, but I don't sell Hitachi, check the number of 'problem' threads. Not something I want to be involved in, just can't afford it.

9. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the info again....

I think the HD version is the way to go.

Is the TH-42PHD6 a model I should be looking for to be compatable with the HD stuff of the future?

I have up to £3000 to spend and see that Av-Sales are doing it for around that sort of money.

If not that one, then what would you advise for that sort of money.

I want a screen with a slim surround and no speakers on it..

Let me know what ya think :lease:

Adam.

10. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm could be wrong but I think the TH42PWD6BX is the commercial black version? I'm not sure the difference but the PW6 silver version can be got for £1970 from quite a few places now. May be worth looking at one of those, especially if tuners/speakers aren't an issue.

Also I believe RicherSounds like to charge £50 for delivery, whereas the above price includes delivery.

Although you will have to add terminal boards and wall brackets etc to that price...

That is what I'm probably going for, although to be fair I've not got £3000 to spare. But hey you could always use your saving to upgrade some other aspect of your system... ;)

:oops: Edit: Oh wait I've just read you want an HD version now! Mind you I thought I read somewhere the PW6 was compatible with HD sources???