1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Me Chose Between Toshes and Thanks for posting here!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Julia, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need your help to chose wisely a matching DVD player for my 57" Tosh RPTV .

I was thinking at Tosh DV 900E (£799) or Tosh DV 420E (£200) or even Tosh DV 220E(£150).

All I want is the best picture for my RPTV, I'm not that interested in the other fancy features or the sound.

My first choice was Tosh DV 900E because it was an award winner, but that was almost 2 years ago and with the new technology advances and the new testing standards I'm not sure if it's worth spending £500 more than Tosh 420E for example.

Do you think it will still make a big difference in picture quality compared with the other two?

Which one you think it's best for my RPTV and let me know if you have another DVD player idea than Toshes.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Many Thanks in advance,

Julia

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any and all of the players you've mentioned are generally accepted to be class leading at their respective price points.

The 900 has now been replaced but is/was considered by many to be one of the best DVD players in the World. The replacement is around £1300-£1500 so probably a little excessive if you're solely after a decent picture.

My advice would be to audition the one Toshiba player you haven't actually mentioned... the sd510e or the revised version, the 520.

This player has a strong following on these forums and features component out and NTSC prog scan (do a search for 'pal prog scan toshiba' to see what's happening, or not, with that).

You should be able to get the 510 for c.£250. A total bargain which I think would suit your TV very well. You can then spend the 'saving' you'll make against buying the 900 on a ton of DVDs and a quality SCART or component lead to ensure the best possible picture.

Hope this helps.

3. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, actually I've forgotten about 510.

My 57WT20B Tosh RPTV does not take progressive scan input (unfortunatelly!).

Tosh 510 is a good choice. What is the difference between 520 and 510? From what I've heard 520 is more compact. Is that all?

Do you think the picture of 510/520 is as good as 900E?

Thanks,

Julia:)

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure the 520 adds internal DTS decoding and looks different, possibly 'sleeker' is the best description. I may be alone in this but I actually think the 510 looks better, more robust.

As for the 510 Vs. 900: no, I don't think the picture from the 510 would be quite as good and the sound is certainly not going to be as good. That said, I doubt you'd notice much difference and remember that the 900 is 3 times the price of the 510!

If money's not an issue then I think most people would suggest the 900, you cannot go wrong with it. If you want a great picture without spending closer to £1000, then the 510/520 solution will be a very good one.

5. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joboy,

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, the Tosh 520 option starts to look very appealing to me!

Do you know any site which has a technical specification for it? Or any site which sells it multiregion?

Thanks,

Julia
    :)

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 900e is available @ leconcepts.com modified for all regions for £699.99 and is an excellent long term buy. (ignore their no stock banner)

7. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stranger,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Do you think it's worth £450 more than Tosh 510 for the picture alone?
    Is Tosh 900E still best picture considering it's 2 years old?

These are my doubts and that's why I'm not sure if I should invest in it £700.

Thanks,

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my opinion is that you would be buying a much better quality dvd player (with the bonus of excellent cd/dvd-audio replay) to match the quality of your tv. the build and quality of the 900 is superb and you you would need to spend a great deal more to better the picture. the 900 was a £1300.00 player less than a year ago-! wouldn't bother about what you term as old-think rolls-royce as far as that aspect is concerned, however it's your money and choice, I put my money where my mouth is and bought the 900 although I loved my sony ns900.:)

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julia - can't find too much about the 520e other than this:

www.vjbailey.co.uk/SD-520E.htm

which doesn't give a lot away. Also doesn't mention DTS decoding which I thought the 520 may have.

As stranger says, if you want to buy something that's widely acknowledged as the amongst the best sensible money can buy, get the 900e.

10. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julia,

I have the 2002/2003 Tosh Home Ent brochure.

The top end Tosh decks (presumably to be released shortly) are the SD-520E and SD-9500. Rather than list all the features, I've just listed those that are over and above the 420E:

SD-520E
    ----------
    DVD-Audio
    DVD-Audio Decoder
    Horizontal Lines = 540 (rather than 500)
    Prog Scan (NTSC)
    Bit Rate Display
    DVD text

SD-9500
    -----------
    adds over SD-520E...
    DTS Audio Decoder
    Higher dynamic range (120dB rather than 108dB)
    HDCD compatible

removed...
    SCART socket
    Enhanced front panel operations

So basically the 520E seems to be a DVD-Audio and NTSC progressive version of the 420E, with slightly higher resolution (540 lines vs. 500 lines using the "Hyper Anti-Alias Filter").

I had the Tosh 220E for a while but got fed up with it locking up on discs/ layer changes. Seems to be a question of luck how much this happens to you.

Phil

11. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi,

Look at some of the higher players 2nd hand - if you look around enough, you could pick up an Arcam DV88 (for instance) for half or less its original retail price (~£800-1000) - very good picture and excellent sound!

Just my 2p's worth.

Joust

12. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stranger,

Thanks for your advice. Just when I was turning my attention towards Tosh 520, you've stressed again the main reasons why Tosh 900e draw my attention in the first place.
    So you say 900e is good value for money.

Juboy,

Thanks for looking for 520 spec. I suspected that there isn't much info about it on the net as it isn't in the shops either (I thought 520 was supposed to be in the shops in September)
    And your vote is for 900e in the end...

Phil-Evans,

Thanks for your tech spec differences between the latest Toshes. It makes me wish I had the money for the latest 9500.

At the same time, since I don't need DVD-A or Prog scan (as my RP doesn't take prog scan input), probably the best economical solution would be 420?

I'm not sure if the slightly higher resolution is noticeable or not.
    Thanks for helping me take Tosh 220E off my list of choices.

Joust,

Thanks for your help. Is Arcam dv88 about the same age as Tosh 900E?
    Is Arcam better than 900E? (I'll have to search some threads for this).
    To be honest I have nothing against a second hand one, only that I'm a bit paranoic if it's faulty.

I cannot say I'm decided one way or another yet...

Any other ideas or comments much welcome!

Thanks,
    Julia

:)

13. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    hi julia,

i've had my Tosh SD900E for about 4 months.

it's a fab player, plays any dvd you care to throw at it :D
    considering the player has been around for 2 years it can even play DVD-R/RW :D

for £699 it's a real bargin!!

dvd ;)

14. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dvd,

Thanks for letting me know that you like the Tosh SD900e.

Is the picture as good as they say in the magazine reviews?

Have you ever had any problems with it?

As I said, my main concern is the picture quality. So you say I cannot go wrong with this one...

Thanks,

15. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Julia,

Do a search on these forums for opinions on the DV88.

Anybody else on this thread that think the Arcam is a good player (better than the Tosh?????)

Joust

16. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    julie,

i have not had any problems with my SD900E and the picture quality is very good.

remember the SD900E has won multiple awards more than any other dvd player i can think of,so toshiba must be doing something right :cool:

if you buy the Tosh and don't like it i'll eat my hat ;)

dvd

17. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    "Anybody else on this thread that think the Arcam is a good player (better than the Tosh?????)"

from what i have read on this forum the arcam is better than the Tosh,but pound for pound the tosh is better value.

dvd :)

18. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dvd, keep your hat handy as I went for 900E in the end!

To be honest it was hard resisting to 520, especially when I saw the price, but I hope 900E will be worth the spending.

Thanks for your help,

Julie:)

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice choice. I would be amazed if you had any regrets.

20. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The 520 looks alot like the 420, I wonder if it uses the same board used in the LG 5000 series like the 420?

21. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ironduke,

Are you able to post any more information (links etc) about the similarities between these models (Tosh x20 and LG 5000)?

Cheers
    Phil

22. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    hi julia,

any news on your SD900E?

dvd :)

23. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy, Dvd,

I've got my SD900E pretty quickly from LeConcepts and it's simply awesome!

You were absolutely right about SD900E (Dvd, lucky hat!). The picture quality is excellent: I've tried it with Monster Inc., Lord Of the Rings and Shrek and it was amazing.

I can imagine that it's even more amazing when you use the prog scan.

The only problem that I had was with a rented Shrek dvd that stopped 3 times at the start of it. Then I took it out and wiped it carefully and afterwards it had no probelm at all. So I suppose it was just the fact that the dvd was probably not clean enough (I'll have to remember to check them carefully from now on!).

I'm very pleased with SD900E and it makes me wonder if I've made the right choice about my 57" RPTV (which it's still on order ). I'm wondering if maybe I should get a projector instead.

Thanks for helping me make the right choice,

Julia

:) :cool: :)

24. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING :D

dvd ;)