Please help me choose

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete Callan, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choices choices choices!

I spent about 6 weeks choosing my TV and finally ended up with a Loewe Vitros in basalt (that's black!). I now need to buy a DVD and VCR.

I had wanted these also to be black, but have decided as long as they're both the same colour (black or silver) I'm not too bothered.

Now I seem to be spending as long thinking about which DVD to buy as I did my TV. I see all the connections at the back of each DVD, but really don't know which ones I'll utilise and which will be left empty.

The sound is currently coming out of my TV (although it would be easy enough for it to come out of my stereo speakers) but eventually I want to buy separates for cinema surround sound (5.1). I also have a cable connection, although when I move, I will probably get a dish - not sure if this will make a difference to any connections I'll need.

OK, still here? I have more or less narrowed my choices down to a few, such as the Pioneer 444, 545, 646, Sony NS400, NS700, Philips Q50, Tosh 220, 510.

It must be multiregion and have VCR mode (or be VCR friendly), so that limits my suppliers to I think, just dvdmagic.net and techtronics, although there are probably more suppliers that do these mods too. I mainly want a DVD for playing films, not so much for playing music so am not sure how much benefit I will get from the SACD that the Sony NS700 has. I guess picture and sound quality are important to me in that order.

I have spent ages thinking about all these machines but am still not sure which would be best, can anyone give me any advice. Thanks.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For me the Toshibas would fight with the Pioneers, depending on how much is to be spent on the player. Really you can't go wrong with either. I think the Tosh 220 might just sneak in there though personally.

I just have to ask, what do you want a VCR for? Do you have a massive back catalogue of videos you feel you need to keep? I did a long time ago, and they've all gone because I can't be arsed with them now I have DVD. Is it for recording? If so, and you have digital cable or satellite, I'd urge you to seriously consider a TiVo over a VCR (It's a lovely silver colour).

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd keep the VCR for both recording from my DVD, hence wanting the DVD to have VCR mode, and for my collection. Eventually I'd transfer them onto DVD but that's a few years down the line, when DVD recordables come down in price.

Can you have a TIVO without a dish?

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can have TiVo with simply a terrestrial analogue connection (or just an aerial, if you like)... but there's not much point in having state of the art recording technology for just five channels...

You can have it with digital cable; NTL or Telewest. I use it with NTL cable, and I would find it hard to cope without my TiVo now... great bit of kit.

5. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I'd not considered TIVO up to now cause I thought it involved having a dish. I may now consider that too. Thanks Pointon

OK, can anyone else help with regard to the DVD; the prices from Techtronics are:

Pioneer
    444 - £169 + VAT
    545 - £229 + VAT
    646 - £297 + VAT
    Sony
    400 - £212 + VAT
    700 - £245 + VAT
    Tosh
    220 - £169 + VAT (but firmware probs at moment)
    510 - £319 + VAT

I'd prefer to keep the price down as I've just done my cash with the Loewe TV purchase but if its really good, I'll buy it whatever!

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/ does the Tosh 220 for £169, and with a VCR mode for £199, also the Tosh 510 for £299, and others.

Check out Richer Sounds too... cautiously.

7. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the 510 isn't VCR mode, and the 220 in VCR mode is more expensive than Techtronics. VCR mode is a must, so the £169 220 isn't an option.

8. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Pointon...........why add "cautiously " to the check out Richer Sounds?

Paul.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because if you're not careful, you might just find yourself walking out of there with a shiny new LIMIT DVD player under your arm :D.

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What Groundy said.

If you don't go into Richer Sounds knowing exactly what you want, they try their best to make sure you walk out with something you don't.

In my experience (and those of almost everyone I know), of course.